Production Values

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Production Values

Postby tch on March 30th, 2011, 3:29 am

Now, I love both new and old Who.
Much as I hate 'Love and Monsters', I also never really enjoyed 'Meglos'. Both have there gold and their crap episodes.

How can you list 'School Reunion' in the bad list?! It's what got us the 'Sarah Jane Adventures' and any episode that has a confrontation between Anthony Head and K-9 has to go on the good list.
Plus, Sarah is still hotter than Rose.

and the 'Next Doctor'? We got basically a steampunk Doctor and the first all of the Doctors montage.

I admit that the Tennant era got too into the emotional baggage stuff, and Russell does love his tragic heroes, but there is just enough magic here to make me say 'they get it' or 'oh that is cool'.

Also, I love being able to sit down and watch Who with my kids. These are their Doctors, like Tom and Peter Davidson were mine.
and my son is enough of a geek that once he saw the new Who he wanted to see where it came from and especially had to see every Dalek story.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on April 3rd, 2011, 5:50 am

Tom Baker is THE "definitive" doctor. Age is irrelevant. You don't have to be a certain age to know that Tom is the best overall(of which the reasons are obvious). My young nephew and niece prefer Tom over any of the modern Doctors. That pretty much sums it up. Even smart kids can compare and see what is clearly better.

P.S. I'll take "Meglos" over any story in modern "Who". It's charming and atmospheric....and it has Tom as the Doctor!

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 8:52 pm

I list School Reunion because it had Rose Tyler at her worst in terms of being selfish, cruel and naievely believing she and the Dr were in a romantic relationship just because he asked her to travel in time & space with him. It had little to do with Lis Sladen or how well her character worked in that story. in fact, she is about the only thing that works in that one.
Prydonian

Postby tch on April 3rd, 2011, 9:38 pm

See, I like it for some of those same reasons. Rose has to deal with the fact that she is not 'the one' ( well, she's is for Tennant's Doctor, every Doctor has a 'one' companion, but not in the grand scheme) and the fact that it may not last for ever and in meeting Sarah, she may be looking at her future.

Plus, I like when Sarah reaches out to Rose, knowing where she was coming from. I have this vision of Sarah and all the other 'girls from now' getting together once a week for coffee and talking about 'their Doctor'.
tch

Postby bcm77 on April 4th, 2011, 1:35 am

tch wrote:How can you list 'School Reunion' in the bad list?! It's what got us the 'Sarah Jane Adventures'

I think you've just answered your own question there :lol:
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on April 4th, 2011, 1:59 am

Hey!
Anybody disses the 'Sarah Jane adventures' I will slay them with this deadly jelly baby.
tch

Postby Prydonian on April 4th, 2011, 10:24 pm

I ntocied the last time I watched SJA that the opening titles remind me of classic Who in some respect. I wonder if anyone else has felt this way? I think the series is inventive and far more consistent than the parent series overall, although I had high hopes with David Tennant's last stories and Matt Smith's first season. Speaking of crossovers (though nobody was but its a fascinating idea!) wouldn't it be great if John Simm's Master turned up on SJA to battle Sarah jane and the gang? He would fit in well there IMHO.
Prydonian

Postby tch on April 5th, 2011, 3:22 pm

SJA is sort of the 'anti-Torchwood', in that it really embraces it's connection to Who history and focuses on telling a story that is fun as opposed to trying to be 'cool and adult'.

Plus, now that K-9 is back and in nearly every episode, it's shot past Torchwood as the best Doctor Who spin-off.
tch

Postby Prydonian on April 5th, 2011, 9:11 pm

I have only seen episodes from the first and second seasons of SJA but am happy as punch to hear K9 is back. I also enjoyed Nick Courtney's appearance in Enemy of the Bane. It was about time we got another Brig adventure.
Despite my lack of fondness for the 'parent' episode School Reunion, I do enjoy the spinoff series quite well.

Torchwood was never about Dr Who to me. I am glad SJA is there to counter the balance, so to speak.
Prydonian

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years