Lalla Ward

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Lalla Ward

Postby metalheadjay on March 30th, 2011, 1:51 am

If I was to have developed a crush on her..it wouldn't have been from the "Creature from the Pit". She was quite nasty and hateful in that one. It would have been any story besides that one in her tenure as Romana. She is quite attractive but Sarah Jane is my favorite companion. She's so lovely and sweet in her final story, "The Hand Of Fear". I adore how she shows her affection for the Doctor in that story. "Because I care about you".

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby tch on March 30th, 2011, 12:30 pm

I love Sarah's leaving scene from 'Hand of Fear'. Very sweet and sad, without hitting you over the head that this is an emotional moment.

I think RTDs problem was he forgot that the quiet, emotional moments are the ones in Who that work best.

To stay on subject, the scene in 'Full Circle' where Rommana realizes she has to go back to Galifry, but doesn't want to is another great one. Tom's Doctor is so obviously awkward as he can't seem to bring himself to say he doesn't want her to leave either.
tch

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 12:31 am

Not having seen The Creature from the Pit in a good while, I cannot really comment if I thought Lalla's take on Romana was nasty or not, although I doubt it was. All I know is I had a huge huge crush on her and that story was what did it. I could never look at her any other way in her subseuent stories as a result. :oops:
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on April 3rd, 2011, 6:38 am

I just watched "Creature From The Pit" a month or so ago and for me, she is the least attractive in that particular story from her tenure as Romana. She has the worst attitude in that one and it's not just for a moment.. it's seemingly for the entire story. I get no positive vibes from her in that story. If her character was written that way for the story, I think it was a mistake. She's like a totally different person in the next story(Nightmare Of Eden)...in a much better way too.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 3rd, 2011, 1:27 pm

metalheadjay wrote:She is quite attractive but Sarah Jane is my favorite companion. She's so lovely and sweet in her final story, "The Hand Of Fear". I adore how she shows her affection for the Doctor in that story. "Because I care about you".

Jay

Agreed. I think Lis is highly underrated as an actress, and she brought a subtlety and depth to the role that we've never seen from anyone else, before or since. There have been other good companions, but they've always tended to be one dimensional and lacking any real emotional depth.

Although I haven't seen all of Lalla Ward's episodes, I always found her character too cynical. The role seemed almost to be played with a measure of disdain. That said, I had grown out of the show by the time she came along, so maybe I'm judging her harshly.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 8:47 pm

I think a lot of people are judging Lalla Ward harshly, and I can't think why. If your going to critique her perfromance as Romana, that is one thing. But let's not get carried away.
Last edited by Prydonian on April 5th, 2011, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prydonian

Postby jbateman on April 5th, 2011, 8:31 pm

I started watching the series back in 1979 when Tom and Lalla were at the helm. They were my heroes back then and remain my favourite TARDIS team. Lalla has said so many complimentary things about Tom over the years - about his performances as an actor and his dedication to Doctor Who. Tom maintains a dignified silence on Lalla - perhaps typical of his generation. Lalla has adopted broadly the same policy, and her occasional comments have never gone further than an affectionate, gentle dig.

Tom and Lalla's marriage came at a very difficult time for Tom as he was letting go of Doctor Who, and let's not forget that it is well documented that he wasn't always the easiest person to work with (ref interviews over the last 30 years with Louise Jameson, Mary Tamm, John Nathan-Turner, Matthew Waterhouse, Sarah Sutton, Janet Fielding, Graham Williams, plus numerous directors, script editors and crew.) Lalla has certainly never put the boot in!

I am so pleased that these two people who gave me such pleasure as a child are happy in their respective lives.
jbateman

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 5th, 2011, 9:20 pm

jbateman wrote:I am so pleased that these two people who gave me such pleasure as a child are happy in their respective lives.

A very good sentiment, and puts the discussion into perspective.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on April 5th, 2011, 11:01 pm

So now the question is, what would you have liked to see happen if both had remained on Dr Who for at least another year? Be creative!
Prydonian

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years