Dinner with Tom in the 80's

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Dinner with Tom in the 80's

Postby phosteres on March 26th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Warm greetings Tom,

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Tom and ten other fans back in the mid 80's when he came to St. Louis, Missouri for a convention, our then Whovian president, Laura had arranged. My cheeks flush and I can't help but smile as I remember Tom's warmth and generosity of spirit towards our doting admiration.

Dr. Who was broadcast through the local PBS station and played at 10:30pm on Sunday nights. All of your St. Louis fans were happy to sacrifice a little sleep to spend a couple of hours with their favorite Doctor. Our local fan club offered the extraordinary experience of dining with you and I leaped at the chance, doing all I could to be on the list.

The evening was certainly extraordinary as I had known it would be. Conversation was (stops a moment to pet her cat, Nuwanda) where was I, oh yes, I remember laughing and enjoying each moment delighted and entertained in Tom's effervescent personality.

At one point in the evening I asked Tom what advice he would give an actor in theatre. Tom told me,
"Reach for the stars and pray to god your fly isn't undone."
His puckish reply has often delighted me.

I have been fortunate to have met many stars, I have done creature effects for the Jim Henson Creature Shop and I was one of the Production Coordinators for a couple of years with both the Emmy and Oscar award shows, but that evening when I had the luxury of a few hours with Tom Baker still outshines the rest.

My admiration and the warm fuzzies I still get from that night continue to make me smile as I reminisce.

Thank you Tom for creating such a warm spot in my life.
Cynthia
'phosteres' = 1. gr. the illumination or radiance of the heavens.
2. cyn. a girl who mucks about with greek culture and history.
phosteres

Re: Dinner with Tom in the 80's

Postby tracy on March 26th, 2011, 7:41 pm

that is so cool what a wonderfull time all of you had thanks for sharing .i know what a wonderfull thing it is to be able to meet tom im glad you were able to as well and have some think to eat to thats so cool .love the bit about reach for the stars to :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 12:09 am

I imagine it would be fun to dine with Tom at his dinner table! Sadly that is a pleasure I have never experienced. But I do admire him for his ongoing wit, charisma and talent. :D
Prydonian

Postby pattie anne on April 6th, 2011, 12:34 am

dear phosteres -

this is all so cool!

made even better by it being so long ago.

ta, for the re-telling and for sharing this oh, so special memory with all of us. :mrgreen:

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Return to The man himself