If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Postby MCH on February 27th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Dear Prydonian,

You wrote, "We long-time fans haven't seen anything that dramatic since Tom fought Anthony Ainley's Master in Logopolis...."

Have you seen the battle between David Tennant's Doctor and John Simm's Master ? I thought it was good. Why the Master actually gave up his life to keep the Galafreyan's from destroying reality ! The Doctor was truly shocked. So was I. :shock: It happened in Tennant's final episodes.

That is not to say that Tom's Doctor's battle in Logopolis with Ainsley's Master wasn't brilliant as well. Of course it was ! I wonder how far off the ground, in a set I assume, the battle took place ? It certainly appeared high and dangerous. But I couldn't believe that the Doctor just let go and dropped. Like the character just gave in. The Doctor always seemed to fight death so fiercely, for himself and others.

I can only imagine what that scene must have been like when seen for the first showing. When I saw Logopolis for the first time a few months ago and knew what was going to happen, I was still shocked at how it happened.

Poor Peter Davison had gigantic shoes to fill. As well as all the other actors to play the Doctors role after Tom.

I would LOVE to see Tom back on the show. I don't see where it would be disastrous if Tom played any other character than the Doctor role. His acting skills are certainly great enough to make any kind of character brilliant. and he might even enjoy the fun and challenge of taking on a different persona.

I wouldn't be aghast at seeing Tom as a less then savory character in the show. I'd love just seeing him be brilliant !
You know, enjoy watching him flex his artistic muscles. :lol:

That's my two cents worth anyways,
MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on February 28th, 2011, 6:07 pm

MCH,

Yes I have seen The End of Time Parts One and Two. John Simm's Master was better than I thought as they revealed more of the dynamic between his character and the Tennant Doctor. I enjoyed seeing their interplay,
especially in the Wastelands when they are running towars each other, and, later when the Doctor is walking towards the Master as the Master uses his force lightning abilities. Great stuff.

I too would like to know how high up Tom and Anthony really were in Logopolis. It was an astounding confrontation and all the more tragic in that it was Doctor Number Four's final hour. :(
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am

I easily think that Tom could still play the Doctor despite his age. He seems to be in better physical shape than William Hartnell(1st doctor) was when he played the role. I just think it would have to be written in a way that was suited for him with less physicality. Wouldn't it be cool if Tom came back to be the Doctor's final regeneration. A timelord only gets 12 after all and why not end the series with the best Doc. I would LOVE that! :D
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on March 6th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Hello. Hello. Hello! :lol:

Tom's work in the BBC Audios prove he still has it. Maybe he could do a one-off as the Doctor for the 50th anniversary in two years' time.

Prydonian 8-)
Prydonian

Postby MCH on March 6th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Well Pry,

Only after he may or may not do, the must not be talked about, unmentionable thing. You know, the one with the people that dress post apocalyptic and have personal hygene to match and that show a preference for, but not exclusively, little grey and white cells. :?

Yes, after that the skies the limit ! Then the BBC will have to bring him back into the fold. Or, we could march on the sidewalk in front of the BBC building holding signs that say, "Bring Tom back you bunch of turkey headed rascals" ! That'll show 'em how serious we are. Won't it ? 8-)

Mch
Last edited by MCH on March 7th, 2011, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCH

Postby Prydonian on March 6th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Yeah! That'll get them for sure! Ha!

I wonder if SM has even thought as far ahead as 2013 yet...
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on March 14th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Having heard "Hornet's Nest" there's no question Tom can still play the Doctor better than anyone else but the style of the show is so different now and I'm not convinced that the production team is competent enough to give him a return that would do him justice.

Steven Moffat wrote "Time Crash" which basically consisted of 10 mocking 5 so I wouldn't want to see Tom return if he was just going to end up being ridiculed by 11 in a similar fashion.

It's arguable whether Davison deserved better but Tom most definitely does.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Toothy Grin on March 15th, 2011, 11:16 am

I certainly wouldn't want to see Tom get mocked by the new Doctor or companion, although they would be very foolish if they tried! I know Tom wouldn't stand for that. I wasn't happy with the way the fifth Doctor was treated, it was like the new production team was saying" Look how silly old Doctor Who was!". I would like to see Tom make some kind of appearance in the new series but it would have to be something really special and done with great respect as Tom is almost mythical now in the history of Doctor Who, getting him in it would be like the ultimate fan wish. And let's face it, time is getting short. :( If he did appear and it was done properly it would be the best guest appearance in Doctor Who ever, easily.
Toothy Grin

Postby tch on March 15th, 2011, 4:03 pm

I don't see the mocking in 'Time Crash'.
There is a feeling of meeting your younger self and saying "Did I really wear that?', and the Doctors never get along when they meet, but that whole scene of 'You were my Doctor', was a sweet little tribute to Doctor #5 and how can you look at Tennant's fanboy, **** grin and think he's mocking?

Besides, this whole tone people seem to get of wanting Tom to be on the show to 'show up' the other Doctor, or put them in their place is not the attitude to go with.
I love Tom's Doctor, but I love all of them, and would never want to see any of them treated bad.
Too many people seem to want to get Tom on the show so they can see him treat whatever Doctor he meets as badly as people think Davidson was treated in 'Time Crash'.

With the big 50 aniversary coming up, I want to see a special with as many Doctors as they can get ( even if they have to kidnap them like in that Mark Gatiss sketch to get them in the studio), but I know realistically a story with that many Doctors would never work.
So, I figure the team up would probably be between the four 'modern Doctors' and get everyone else showing up in some other part.Colin Baker as a scientist, McCoy as the voice of a computer, Tom as...well, whatever he likes really.
I want to be pausing the DVD every five seconds to go 'Oh my god! they got so and so to play the captain of the ship!'

Course, the big opportunity they missed for a team up was Mat Smith's finale. How cool would it have been to have the Pandorica open and have Tom sitting there, give the great grin and go 'I thought you'd never show up."
tch

Postby metalheadjay on March 20th, 2011, 12:21 am

Have to be honest...I would pay good money to see Tom put them in their place. That would be so entertaining and hilarious! Just saying...

Jay
metalheadjay

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years