Something To Say

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Something To Say

Postby Luc Berthiaume on December 27th, 2010, 1:08 am

Greetings from Canada,
I am a 42 year old man, I work as a Network Administrator andpretty much facinated with any other facets of technology.

What started the proverbial ball rolling was an episode of Doctor Who
(Genesis of the Daleks) in 1977 (I was 9 years old), it was on a black and white TV, on what was TvOntario on UHF channel 19. It was obviously a repeat. Star Wars came out in the same year but in my mind was in the same class when it came for fascination and interest. Star Wars was a space opera, but Doctor Who was to me, the start of my technology adventure that I could aspire to.

Doctor Who was the first science fiction tv show i had ever seen and by far to this day, still watch Doctor Who on the Canadian "Space" Channel. They have a full day of Doctor Who today.

Every time the Doctor goes through regention, he always touches his new face and asks, " am I Ginger?" This to me always bring me back to the little boy that watched the Black nad White TV. And is also an "hommage" to the one and only Tom Baker (Doctor) with the huge "crazy" smile and the cuty companion Sarah Jane Smith.

After I saw the older episode from "Water of mars) David Tennant, i saw that the end credits (In memory of barry letts). I was just thinking, it would be almost a world event if the new Doctor (Matt Smith), and the old Doctor (Tom Baker) would meet in one episode for on last adventure. And maybe a bit of Sarah Jane Smith would be also good... :D

Reguardless... I just want to thank Tom Baker, for being who he is, and not just being the Doctor, and making that memory for me and in some way shaping my life in the direction of computer technology.
Luc Berthiaume

Re: Something To Say

Postby tracy on December 27th, 2010, 12:08 pm

:D hi there luc welcome to toms dinner table have a good look round chillout and enjoy
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on December 27th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Greetings Luc,

To see Tom in any new episode would be totally awesome !

I wonder if the powers that be on BBC could ever be persuaded to put him back on. :?
If they had any sense they would, IMHO.

Regards,
MC
MCH

Postby tch on December 27th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Personally, as much as I love Tom's Doctor, I think it would take too much gimmicking to make it work to have him come back as the Doctor.

Still I would love to have Tom play some other role on the new series. Voice of a computer, mad scientist or something like that. He would have been cool Dream Lord, from 'Amy's choice'.

I'd love to see all the past Doctor actors make some kind of appearance on the New show.
tch

Postby Luc Berthiaume on December 27th, 2010, 11:36 pm

I would never have him back as the current Doctor, but as a past Doctor metting the current one in one episode.

Thinking about it, would be kind of cool to have flashbacks, to go back in time to when the Doctor had a home life on Gallifrey, and have Tom Baker as his father.
Luc Berthiaume

Postby MCH on December 30th, 2010, 5:00 am

No, I don't think it would work for Tom to be brought back as a Doctor but that idea about HIM portraying the Doctors father is interesting. Also the Dream Lord idea. I can hear HIS laughter now taunting the Doctor.

I have a query in reference to "the Invasion of Time" episode. In the scene where the "alien invaders" first make an appearance In Galifrey. The Doctor starts to laugh but covers his face then strangely glances at the invaders. I get it that he is putting on a show to keep the "alien invaders" from suspecting a double-cross but I wonder if HIS strange glance is a way of showing that HE is gaging the aliens reaction, or some other such thing like just trying to see if they do something that might give HIM a clue as to who the invaders are, or am I trying to read into it something that is not there?

BTW, Great evil guy laugh there Tom ! I wish that BBC would give you a cameo somewhere. You could have been Scrooge in the 2010 Christmas special. "Christmas, you know, is only celebrated by those who want something for nothing!" did I get the quote from the special right? Lol

Also, I liked how Tom wrapped his scarf in "the invaders of Time." Every time I saw that the scarf was tightly wrapped around his neck I'd cringe thinking that HE was going to get strangled by that thing. I Also wondered if it itched? I assumed that it was wool. Wool makes me scratch my skin clean off. ACK! :|

MC
MCH

Postby Prydonian on March 12th, 2011, 3:57 am

I dare say that if he wanted to, and the BBC were ok with it, that Tom would easily step back into the role of the Doctor for a one-off special alongside the current incarnation. He did it for those adverts in 1997, and was convincing enough. They could even have an onscreen explanation to his age by saying he is from a parallel universe where he never regenerated like in the Dark Dimension special that was never made. But I also like the ideas of him being the Doctor's father in a flashback to Gallifrey, or even the Dream Lord in a different manifestation. if the Doctor can change his appearance, why not his darker subconcious self?
Prydonian

Postby tch on March 12th, 2011, 8:06 pm

If Tom were to play a bad guy on the new show, he'd be a cool Celestial Toymaker. He would be perfect for that mix of menace and whimsey that the character needs.
tch

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years