Leela

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Leela

Postby Captain Rum on February 23rd, 2011, 5:45 pm

A great character, had more depth to her than at first glance, although the way she was married off was not the way she should've gone, should've died in battle saving the Doctor or ruling a planet, but was in some fantastic stories and will never be forgotten.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby metalheadjay on February 24th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Violent and primitive as the Doctor would say. That's why I wasn't a big fan of Leela. She was too aggressive and irrational. I'll take her over Adric though! :P
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on March 7th, 2011, 12:13 am

Well now, they were trying something new for the companion role with Leela. A pity she never reached her full potential. But I will point out that she was supposed to be aggressive, but I would not call her irrational. She was a warrior who used her subconcious gifts to the benefit of herself and the Doctor.
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on March 7th, 2011, 12:32 am

Leela is the best companion ever as far as I'm concerned, only Ace is anywhere near being in the same league.

I can see how her violent tendencies could be off putting but if I were a Time Lord travelling into tricky situations I'd much prefer to have a companion who's got some fight in her than the sort of drip that blunders into trouble and has to be rescued every week.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Prydonian on March 11th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Oh absolutely, bcm77, I agree! Leela had some major staying power and I only wish she could have done more episodes and had a better written-out scene. There was no sign of her and Andred even having a conversation beyond hello, let alone staying behind on an alien planet filled with high society Time Lords and probably minimum wage guards, of which Andred was one. :D
Not to mention she is never seen again in any of the Doctor's subsequent visits to Gallifrery, and I think is only mentioned once in passing. So was she still on Gallifrey when the Time War started? Who knows? Spin-off media aside, we just do not know. :(
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on March 14th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Prydonian wrote:Oh absolutely, bcm77, I agree! Leela had some major staying power and I only wish she could have done more episodes and had a better written-out scene. There was no sign of her and Andred even having a conversation beyond hello, let alone staying behind on an alien planet filled with high society Time Lords and probably minimum wage guards, of which Andred was one. :D
Not to mention she is never seen again in any of the Doctor's subsequent visits to Gallifrery, and I think is only mentioned once in passing. So was she still on Gallifrey when the Time War started? Who knows? Spin-off media aside, we just do not know. :(

The character's ending was disappointing as if anyone deserved to go out with all guns blazing protecting the Doctor it was Leela.

As far as the Time War goes, I like to forget that scenario even happened as it was little more than a gimmick created by Russell T Davies to give the revived show an intresting backstory.

Sooner or later the production team will get the itch to return to Gallifrey and like most things in the new series it'll inevitably be restored to the Whoniverse at the flick of a magic screwdriver or via a dodgy plot hole.

Which would be fine....if it meant a return for Louise Jameson as Leela 8-)
bcm77

Postby metalheadjay on March 19th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Her behavior on occasion was still quite irrational. For example... wanting to take someone's life when you could easily knock that person out. She let her aggressive(primitive) tendencies get the best of her and the Doctor was clearly perturbed by this and for good reason. Sarah Jane and Romana 1 were Tom's best companions.
metalheadjay

Postby bcm77 on March 25th, 2011, 10:28 pm

I've just discovered the awesome news that Louise Jameson will be playing Leela alongside Tom in one of the audios he's agreed to do for Big Finish. My favorite Doctor & companion together again :)
bcm77

Postby tch on March 26th, 2011, 12:26 am

Cool to hear about Tom and Louise doing an audio together.

Since there will be a full season of Tom Big Finish audios, I'm hoping they'll be able to do a mix of companions.

Love to hear a Doctor Sarah Jane story and we have to get some K-9 with really any of the companions.
tch

Postby Prydonian on March 26th, 2011, 12:51 am

It will be awesome to have brand newalbiet audio episodes with the 4th Doctor and Leela again. I am looking forward to hearing more when it is available. :D
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years