The Seeds of Doom

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Seeds of Doom

Postby Prydonian on March 8th, 2011, 7:25 pm

The Seeds of Doom comes out on DVD today. It is the latest title starring Tom Baker to be released in North America. It features the Doctor's battle against the Krynoid creature. As a child, watching this episode made me temporarilly lose my appretite for about a week! :D

Sooo just wondering what is everybody's thoughts on this six-part adventure, co-starring Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane?
Prydonian

Re: The Seeds of Doom

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 8th, 2011, 11:05 pm

I like this one a lot. Both Tom and Lis are in good form, there's an excellent villian, and supporting cast. Also, it doesn't drag much at any point, which some six-parters do...the story is almost split in two parts, which helps in a way, but I won't spoil it for you.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Toothy Grin on March 8th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Seeds of Doom has been out on DVD for ages.
Toothy Grin

Postby metalheadjay on March 19th, 2011, 11:01 pm

It kinda reminds me of "The Thing"(the episodes at the beginning at the installation). A great story! Baker has said that he could understand as to how the villain came to love plants more than other people. When you see all the cruel atrocities that man commits(on his fellow man and otherwise), you can somewhat comprehend his actions. Although he is completely mentally unstable and his desire for power have clearly driven him over the edge. He has essentially turned into what he despises.
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 19th, 2011, 11:41 pm

metalheadjay wrote:It kinda reminds me of "The Thing"(the episodes at the beginning at the installation).

Yes, definitely!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby bcm77 on March 21st, 2011, 10:36 pm

I love "The Seeds of Doom", it's 4th in my all time top 10 Who stories behind "Genesis of the Daleks", "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" and "The Deadly Assassin".

One of those stories where everything is just right although as Tom says on the DVD commentary the pod does resemble a baked potato :mrgreen:
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Prydonian on March 27th, 2011, 8:54 pm

The only thing that could make this story more a classic is if the Brigadier and Mr. Benton had been involved.
As UNIT plays an important part in the story later on, I wonder what kept them (the BBC) from getting Nick Courtney and John Levene back for one more?
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years