Tom's costume

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Tom's costume

Postby Toothy Grin on November 10th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Although the overall look of Tom's costume stayed the same (long scarf, hat, coat etc) he wore a variety of diffent coats/scarves/hats throughout his time, but which ensemble do you think he looked best in? Personally, I thought he looked perfect in The Face Of Evil - best coat (the brown velvet one) with his original scarf, nice khaki coloured felt hat, and suede boots (which I think he only wore for that one story. Wasn't too keen on his season 12 red jacket, and my least favourite look was his season 18 'uniform'- far too much burgundy going on, everything just seems to blend into one mass of burgundy, and the question marks on the collar were one of John Nathan Turner's worst ideas.
Toothy Grin

Re: Tom's costume

Postby tracy on November 10th, 2009, 5:52 pm

:D to me tom looked cool in any think what ever he wore it seemed to suit him and was even hotter in the gear he wore in deadly assassin .i know i shouldnt be saying this and it will be the only time i do as i might land my self in to hot water but even now tom is still hot . there is one or 2 things missing that tom needs and thats a life time achivment award and a knight hood
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on November 10th, 2009, 6:05 pm

They were all pretty good in my opinion, but my personal favourite was his original season twelve garb. Grey trousers, white shirt, brown and cream knitted waitcoat, red hacking jacket, hat and scarf.
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 10th, 2009, 6:38 pm

i consider it more the changing face of the Doctor through Mr. Baker's time.
The first costume made him seem very young, almost like a little boy that couldn't quite decide what he wanted to wear but it was comfy , colorful and he liked it. As it went on the ugly, ugly checked sweater was replaced with the vest and looked a little more put together- more grown-up. The longer coats made him seem a much older Doctor , but if brown verses grey, i did like the brown one best for coloring and the grey one for the way it was cut and for the way it fit. if they could have morphed the two coats...oh well.
there was one pair of trousers he wore that i hated-HATED-big giant plaid almost an orange colored scary " things" that he wore tucked into boots. THOSE should have been tossed onto a bonfire- they hurt my eyes :lol:
As for the season 18 costume- see the blackpool closing forum for my thoughts on that, i think it makes my view very clear. He did look best in the early brown and grey long coats, but the season 18 costume was beautiful. I have a fondness for tall boots but i loved those black and white wing-tips from " Seeds of Doom ". the golf shoes . :lol: i think i'm saying i liked all of them-except the ugly , ugly sweater and the plaid pants that needed to be burned.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Jedi Princess on November 10th, 2009, 9:47 pm

I liked all of his costumes....except for the season 18 one. Ugh. Too much burgandy, and it wasn't Tom enough :(
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby merlinsseer on November 10th, 2009, 11:36 pm

am i the only one here that loves the coat ? :roll: :lol:
merlinsseer

Postby John on November 11th, 2009, 12:10 am

Am I the only one on her who loves the cream and brown check sweater...? :lol:
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 11th, 2009, 12:15 am

shhhhhh.. i love that sweater too- it's just ugly enough to need love :lol:
merlinsseer

Postby John on November 11th, 2009, 12:20 am

Rather like me then... :cry:

I wonder if I could persuade the princess to knit me one? :lol:
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 11th, 2009, 12:22 am

pats john on head and gives a cookie - you're just lovely from what i can see of you ;) from here
merlinsseer

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years