The Brig

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Brig

Postby Doctor John Smith on February 24th, 2011, 7:50 pm

May I join Tom in expessing my sorrow on the passing of Nicholas Courtney. I didn't even know he was ill.

For me Nick, along with Tom, Anthony Ainley and Jon Pertwee made Who truly unforgettable, and was one of the reasons I beacame a firm fan in the 1970's.

He will be missed by legions of fans the world over.

RIP Brig....
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Re: The Brig

Postby Peter Egan's Audi on February 26th, 2011, 4:45 pm

I've read Tom Baker's tribute to dear Nicholas Courtney.

It's one of the most moving and poignant things I've ever read, and brought tears to the eyes (in fact, more than the initial numbness on hearing the news).

It's so very sad to hear that Nick has died, and was in pain; but it's beautiful to learn that he had such a devoted family, and dear, true friends like Tom to be with him at the end.

I saw them both at Time Quest in '09 and it was pretty obvious Nick was ill, though this turned out to have been a stroke, and not the cancer; but I will treasure more than ever the big photo of the two of them in Zygons that they both signed. I'm looking at it now.

RIP Nick. A true gent and a wonderful actor.
Peter Egan's Audi

Postby Prydonian on February 27th, 2011, 12:48 am

RIP Nick. You will be missed the world over by family, friends and fans.
Last edited by Prydonian on March 6th, 2011, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prydonian

Postby Gordon on February 27th, 2011, 6:26 am

I can only echo what has been said. I didn't know Nick was ill, and now feel slightly awkward at having asked my November question to Tom in the Forum, which was about Nick. In any event, it's all awful. Nick and Jon, along with Katy Manning are my very first memories of watching television.

Gordon
Gordon

Postby bcm77 on March 6th, 2011, 11:57 pm

I've only been a fan of the Classic show for about 4 years and Nicholas Courtney's portrayal of the Brigadier is one of the big reasons I've grown to love it so much.

Along with Jon Pertwee & Roger Delgado he defined the early 70's and though his appearances were lesser during Tom's run and those that followed his performance quality was always top notch.

He was also great to listen to when speaking out of character on the various DVD extras and from all accounts was a decent chap in person who seemed to be universally loved by both fans and his peers.

A great loss to the Whoniverse and the world in general.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Prydonian on March 6th, 2011, 11:59 pm

I only wish that Tom and Nick had done more Who episodes together, as they seemed to get on like a house on fire. I keep hearing rumors that the Birgadier character was meant to be in either The Android Invasion or The Seeds of Doom, but Nick was busy with a prior engagement. And it is a shame he did not get to appear in the new series of Dr Who with any of the three modern-day Doctors. I know there is a comic strip where the Tennant Doctor met the Brig and I guess that will have to do now that Nick is gone to higher grounds.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years