If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Postby MCH on January 13th, 2011, 4:49 am

Maybe Tom could have a chance to play a pirate after all. Or some nefarious evil genius. Or a UNIT brigadier that keeps saluting the "Doctor" just to drive him batty, lol.

There's all kinds of fun stuff they could write him in to.

MCH
MCH

Postby The_44th_Doctor on January 13th, 2011, 8:33 am

I wonder if Tom would turn down a role in Doctor Who, unless he could be the actual doctor again. Tom is a star and a big hit with the fans, it would probably have to be a major character or villain for Tom to accept the part.
Would you care for a Jelly Baby?
The_44th_Doctor

Postby tch on January 13th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I really like the idea of Tom being on the show and playing the bad guy.
and not some 'oh, isn't he a charming rogue' type, but I'd like to see him be a real evil bastard. I'm talking a Davros level of scary evil, where he could just go nuts.
But, of course, I'd be happy if Tom did anything for the show. Good guy, bad guy, voice of a computer, man on the street, Rory's grandfather etc.
tch

Postby The_44th_Doctor on January 14th, 2011, 11:20 am

I agree TCH, Tom would be a great asset to anything Dr. WHO related, and I would be thrilled to be able to enjoy it.
Would you care for a Jelly Baby?
The_44th_Doctor

Postby metalheadjay on February 24th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Even at his age, I strongly feel that Tom is still more physically fit and able to do more than the first Doctor(William Hartnell) was during his tenure. I think he could do it if it's written right. He just couldn't be as physical or intense. You know a timelord only has 12 regenerations(that includes the Doctor). Wouldn't it be great if they finally ended the series with Tom being that final regeneration Doctor?! I would love that! :D
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on February 26th, 2011, 7:03 pm

There is no real reason why Tom cannot come back and take part in a new Who episode or special. He could very well play the part of the Doctor again or be a baddie. Anything is possible with science fiction. I am not totally sold on him playing the Master, though, as that would take some doing. But imagine the impossible I always say! The Master could take on the appearance of the last Doctor to be a true threat to his plans in a new regeneration and the fun could begin. get Matt Smith or whoever involved and have his Doctor take on Tom's Master. Well, heck, that sounds fantastic! We long-time fans haven't seen anything that dramatic since Tom fought Anthony Ainley's Master in Logopolis....
Last edited by Prydonian on February 27th, 2011, 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prydonian

Postby Gordon on February 27th, 2011, 6:43 am

Of course Time Lords age. Bill Hartnell was hardly in the first flush of youth. The point is that, despite regeneration, they seem to carry on in their own time stream - so it would not be beyond the wit of a producer to get Tom back.......although they may have to create an "old-look" Tardis console room. I do pity the person that has to write the 50th Anniversary special - it'll be so difficult to get all the continuity correct, and, of course, it won't be the same without the Brig. I hope that they may approach Terrance, at least for assistance.

Gordon
Gordon

Postby Gordon on February 27th, 2011, 6:50 am

Sorry, just read the bits about Tom being The Master or some other baddie.......surely out of the question. It would destroy one of the best TV legacies ever created. I don't think anyone would have liked it if John Thaw, as Morse, had suddenly become a mass murderer!
Gordon

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 27th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Gordon wrote:Sorry, just read the bits about Tom being The Master or some other baddie.......surely out of the question. It would destroy one of the best TV legacies ever created. I don't think anyone would have liked it if John Thaw, as Morse, had suddenly become a mass murderer

Don't forget that Tom has already played the villain a couple of times in Dr Who. Just off the top of my head, there's Meglos and that android one where he and Sarah Jane have replicants. So the precedent is there.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Prydonian on February 27th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Please take the time to read my last post written on this topic as I have edited and reworked it to share my views on Tom being the Master. It was more in keeping with the topic this way. Thanks.
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years