Die Hard Dr. Who Fan

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Die Hard Dr. Who Fan

Postby ListGirl on October 26th, 2010, 3:26 am

Just had to share.
We watched Dr. Who when I was a kid, on PBS.
When it was Tom's last episode, I threw the biggest tantrum...I actually freaked my parents out. ( I was NOT prone to tantrums, especially at 11 years old).
I was devastated. I didn't know that there had been and would be other actors playing the Dr. We had just stumbled across the series.
I was miserable and refused to watch it ever again.
I am thrilled that a LOT of the Tom Baker episodes are on Netflix!!
Glad to be here.

Amy
ListGirl

Re: Die Hard Dr. Who Fan

Postby tracy on October 26th, 2010, 9:57 am

:D welcome to toms dinner table amy enjoy your self . your just in time to celebrate the forums first birthday tomorrow
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby pattie anne on October 26th, 2010, 5:06 pm

yes, welcome ListGirl. :mrgreen:

was HOPE-ing we would make 300 by then, and we nearly did. i asked dirk (one of our MODS here) if we could "PHONY" up a few for the occasion, but he said i was a "very baddd girl" for suggesting such. but at least he knows my "hearts" (one for LIFE -- and one for Dr Who ) are in the right places.

best,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Marcello Cristiano on October 27th, 2010, 8:30 am

Hi Amy! :) I can relate to your feeling of doom when TOM regenerated. Although, by the time PBS showed the regeneration, I had seen the regeneration scene(albeit dodgy) in Sylvester McCoy's 'Time And The Rani'. So I guess I had a less traumatic experience than you.

Here we can selebrate TOM's return to the role in 'Hornet's Nest' and 'Demon Quest'. I hope you are able to pick up copies of both 5-part segments. Enjoy your time here, and it is truly a pleasure to meet you.

Marcello
:)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Prydonian on January 9th, 2011, 1:37 am

Tom's regeneration at the end of Logopolis was the first that I really saw and it affected me so much as a child that I would mimic it before bed for the thrills of my parents and younger sister every night for quite a while.
It still holds as the most daring, effective and memorable regeneration. I have since seen all the rest so I can say the previous statement with some sense of authority.
Prydonian

Postby aneela on January 9th, 2011, 9:17 pm

I was very happy as well that Netflix had a good variety of Who dvds!! I'm hoping to start on my collection of classic Who this year...my little gift to myself :-)
aneela

Postby tch on January 9th, 2011, 11:12 pm

My wife has been buying me the new series DVds for christmas, and I've been watching the old series through netflix. I started waaaaay back with 'Unearthly Child' and been trying to go through the series in order ( my son jumps around, because he wants to see all the Dalek stories)

I'm now up to the Pertwee years and should be starting Tom's run by February.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on February 24th, 2011, 11:27 pm

You should really acquire the DVD's for all the bonus goodies! I absolutely love commentaries and interviews with the people that create the magic and the ones on these DVD's are not to be missed. Happy viewing!
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on February 27th, 2011, 7:31 pm

That's for sure. The bonus features are getting much, much better on the recent releases within the past two years or so. Well worth a look, especially the Key to Time stories. One such release has bits of Tom narrating suspense stories for children. And the commentaries he does with Mary Tamm (The first Romana) are awesome too. The main documentary on Logopolis, by the way, features an overview of Tom's time as the Doctor, and really goes behind the scenes with what was going on back during that time. And there is bonus goodness of the actual regeneration itself! Tom was making people laugh all the way up to the end on the series!
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years