Production Values

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Production Values

Postby tch on July 28th, 2010, 1:06 am

I don't mind cheesy.
What bugs me is watching some movie that cost a ga-zillion dollars to make and seeing painfully bad/obvious CGI (Yes, Catwoman, I'm talking to you)
That takes me out of the mood quicker than a corridor made out of plywood or a cheap raygun.
Especially, if like Doctor Who or some older movies, there is good writing and acting.

If they spent tons of bucks on just trying to make the movie look nice and it has a crap script then...well, then we are back to Catwoman.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on February 25th, 2011, 12:13 am

That is part of the charm of that era and it really doesn't bother me. I see awful CGI in bad horror and sci-fi constantly these days. I'll take those cheesy effects and rubber suits during "Classic Who" over that garbage any day. "Classic Who" is more about well-written story, depth, and substance. That's what I need more than anything else. Big special effects and high production values are actually rather irrelevant. When you're working with a smaller budget, you're forced to use your brain and be more creative. Just as an example..Look at the film "Evil Dead"(Bruce Campbell). That movie would have sucked with a huge budget! Just look at what Sam Raimi and the rest of the crew did to make that movie stand out. The camera movement and angles come quickly to mind.
metalheadjay

Postby Marcello Cristiano on February 25th, 2011, 2:18 am

The thing that not many people know is that the people in charge of the SFX of Doctor Who during the 70's were pioneers of blue screen(what we now call green screen). They did the best they could with the shoe-string budget they had. Although, there were and still are times(even as a kid back in the 1980's) where I found them hilarious, but they never distracted me(the 60's and 70's Who that it is) until the late 1980's Doctor Who with McCoy. That being said, I'm glad the new series has what I feel the best effects on television today, thanks to The Mill(they won an Academy Award for the movie 'Gladiator'). Finally the best show with the best effects! :)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby MCH on February 25th, 2011, 3:36 am

Don't forget that Star Wars came out in 1977. That movie changed forever the look of sfx. Then Indiana Jones. Great movies with great special fx in the 70's ! Of course movies had a bigger budget then tv.

I have to admit that there were times while watching the 'classic' Who that I wondered how the actors could maintain their character in the face of such obviously goofy alien critters. But that's what acting is all about eh ? Bringing characters and situations to life.

Well done to all the actors in the series for creating an awesome Who-verse ! woo WHO ! :D

Mch
MCH

Postby metalheadjay on February 25th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Marcello, I must question anyone who thinks modern "Who" is good. The only thing it has going for it IS special effects and that's just not enough for me. There are just way too many things about the modern series I dislike.
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 25th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Regarding the modern series, it probably seems brilliant to kids who were too young to remember the classic version. The stories and effects are way better than anything else of its type currently.

For those of us who remember the original series, perhaps we're just better off not thinking of the new version as Dr Who at all.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on February 25th, 2011, 8:03 pm

What I liked, is not having a huge budget, they had to put more energy and effort into the story and the actors.

Surrounded by cheap sets and rubber monsters, whoever played the Doctor had to play it as though it was all real and that's what made the show work.

Plus, we are looking at the show from decades later. At the time, Dr. Who had a good sized effects budget.

Years from now, your Grandkids will probably be saying 'Oh man, this Avatar is so cheesy looking! You guys really thought 3-D was cool?"
tch

Postby Marcello Cristiano on February 26th, 2011, 12:59 am

What I meant by "the best show"... was the entire run of Doctor Who from 1963 to present day. We all must remember that "new Who" is a continuation and not a remake despite the gaps between 1989, 1996, and 2005. That being said, I do respect you metalheadjay, and must tell you that I love classic Doctor Who an awful lot too, especially TOM, otherwise I wouldn't be here. BTW, peace out to you and it's a pleasure to meet you. I love the enthusiasm and love for the show here. You people are the greatest. Keep the Whovian flame burning.

Your friend,

Marcello
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby MCH on February 26th, 2011, 2:39 am

Question away metalhead !

I LOVE the new WHO ! I like the classic Who as well. I only just saw the classic Who though so there is no nostalgia for me there. In that respect I see the Who verse from a different perspective.

I like the special effects of the new Who and the characters and some of the stories. I also liked the characters and some of the stories of the classic Who. As for the sfx of the classic Who, I grew up with and and am nostalgic about the sfx from many years ago.

Stories, ah yes. My thoughts, such as they are, about the stories is that some are good and some not so good in both the classic and new Who. I'm not all that bothered with trying to analyze each show. I can just enjoy them or not. In most cases I enjoy them.

Mch
MCH

Postby metalheadjay on March 3rd, 2011, 12:21 am

Graceful Leonard:

For those of us who remember the original series, perhaps we're just better off not thinking of the new version as Dr Who at all.
--------------------------------------------

That's exactly what I do, Leonard. I don't acknowledge it as being "Doctor Who". Whenever I see that it's coming on or a commercial is played for it...my natural response is the following: That is NOT Doctor Who! The modern series lacks substance and the stories are weak and unoriginal. ;) Say what you will about Tom Baker's era but even his weaker stories have something going for 'em unlike a vast majority of the stories from the modern series.
metalheadjay

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years