Dr Who Becoming Adult Entertainment

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Dr Who Becoming Adult Entertainment

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 25th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Thinking about the new version of Dr Who on a previous thread, I was disappointed that when they brought the show back they kept it as basically a kids/family show.

The film version with Paul McGann was a little more adult-orientated, and I had hoped that the new version of the show would have been aimed at those of us who grew up with Dr Who and are now adults...something aimed at the same kind of audience as (for example) The X Files.

Yes, they kinda did this with Torchwood, but I think it would have been far better to take Dr Who in that darker direction of adult/sci-fi/thriller.

What say you?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Dr Who Becoming Adult Entertainment

Postby tch on February 25th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Doctor Who is fine the way it is.
They tried adult Doctor Who, it was called Torchwood and personally, I found it to be a badly written trainwreck.
I shudder to think if they tried it with Doctor Who.

With the new show, I can watch it with my kids, as well as my wife and friends. I get the kids hooked and they can then watch it with their kids and the show goes on till the solar flares wipe out the planet and we all go into cryo-freeze.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on March 3rd, 2011, 12:08 am

I've always looked at "Who" as being Crossover entertainment. It's not necessarily made just for kids. There has always been violence on the show. Plus, small children certainly can't understand the technical jargon. I think it's really made for teens to adults. I really don't care how adult it has become because in my opinion it's been crap since Tom Baker left. The modern series lacks substance. :roll:
metalheadjay

Postby Prydonian on March 3rd, 2011, 2:18 am

The original Dr Who series was not made by the Children's department at the BBC. That is a long-held myth with no truth to it. Dr Who was at it's most effective during the time Philip Hinchcliffe was producer. Even the Graham Williams era stands the tests of time when compared to the modern take of Tennant's run and lack of substance and background. I am hoping the new series, under the new showrunner and cast, will go back to it's gothic roots and give us somew more classics to make watching the modern Who more worthwhile. I think it has done enough in its blatant attemtps to mimic the Williams-Nathan-Turner feel of subsequent seasons.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years