Smoking

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in February 2011 to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.

Smoking

Postby Gordon on February 15th, 2011, 1:41 am

Dear Tom,

Given that you are still alive, I assume that you stopped liaising with tobacco some time ago. In sober moments, I often think that I ought to stop also, but somehow I enjoy it too much. Can you offer any advice on kicking the habit ( tobacco smoking that is!) other than not going to a shop and buying the stuff, or begging one's friends at parties for "one last one"?

Best wishes,
Gordon
Gordon

Re: Smoking

Postby Tom Baker on February 20th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Gordon,

I don't do advice but I'm not short of opinions. I know how seductive nicotine is especially for people with bad breath and no private life who can't sleep. A good night's sleep is impossible for smokers as they must obey the habit and make a pot of tea and read Spinoza. But apart from longing for death there is the dreadful condition when smokers discover that they cannot enjoy a good laugh because they will go into convulsions of coughing. Which means they must at all costs avoid amusing companions, thus further increasing their loneliness. What a vile habit even for the lonely: but oh, how much I miss it. Not a day passes that I don't think of my beloved Rothmans King Size. But then suddenly I had a chance to be happy and I snatched at it and dropped the fags. Have you decided where you want your ashes to be scattered, Gordon? I think you should decide and quickly because you are doomed.

Affectionately yours,

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for February 2011