The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - SPOILERS

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - SPOILERS

Postby Sarah on April 8th, 2010, 11:31 am

Sometimes things come across wrong on the internet no need to apologise!
Sarah

Postby Theta Sigma on April 11th, 2010, 12:52 am

After years of knowing that this movie led to Tom being cast as the Fourth Doctor I finally got to see it last night.

Tom was very good as the villain Koura.

Curiously enough a scene in the movie had Koura captured by green people for sacrifice for their deity. Tom as the Doctor would experience something similar years later in The Power of Kroll when the Swampies also green people attempted to sacrifice the Doctor and Romana to their god Kroll.

Also in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad are two people who had roles in a Doctor Who audio drama - the beautiful Caroline Munro was in the Fifth Doctor story Omega and Robert Rietty was in the Seventh Doctor story Death Comes To Time.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad was worth seeing on how it led to Tom being cast as the Fourth Doctor. Although I found it slow moving in the first half it does however pick up in the second half.
Theta Sigma

Postby tracy on April 11th, 2010, 9:05 am

:D glad you got to see it theta . and that you enjoyed it tom is very good all the films and tv projects he has been in im waiting for the medics drama that tom was in to come out on dvd no one seems to have it
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Moderator on April 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Dear Tracy -

I agree. Apparently "Medics" is just not available anywhere, at any price. I personally just have two episodes and part of a third, copied from VCR tapes, that were taken off TV. And I wouldn't have them if it wasn't for people like Pattie Anne and Peter Dalek. :P

But by the same token, "Golden Voyage," seems to be everywhere, and easily obtained.

Odd.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby tracy on April 29th, 2010, 5:06 pm

:D yes me to thanks to pattie and peter dalek i have the same but would love the rest of medics
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby mikotyk on June 1st, 2010, 8:28 pm

The film was a regular on TV on Saturday afternoons on the Creature Features television show out of New York. Harryhausen did some of the best special effects ever; including the original Clash of the Titans. I haven't seen the new version of Clash of the Titans but I have always been hesitant to watch remakes. In my opinion, you just cannot 'remake' a classic film without losing a bit of the magic that made it special in the first place.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby mikotyk on June 13th, 2010, 1:01 am

I finished watching The Golden Voyage of Sinbad on YouTube (like I said, you can find nearly anything on there). It is such a good movie. There are great performances and the special effects are still top notch. Tom did a wonderful job as Prince Koura. I especially liked his interaction with his pet demon and the dancing Kali statue. It must have been difficult to act with stop motion special effects.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby Theta Sigma on January 30th, 2011, 12:07 am

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad DVD has filmographies but not one for Tom and that is very disappointing.

Of the cast there was only one for the movie's star John Phillip Law and no disrespect intended for Law but I am pretty sure that more people know who Tom is than Law.
Theta Sigma

Postby Moderator on February 2nd, 2011, 4:31 pm

Dear Theta Sigma -

I would tend to agree, but John Philip Law was an American actor, and he did do over 100 feature films during his lifetime, including Jane Fonda's "Barbarella," and as the Aviator in a stage production of the "Little Prince."

He also starred in such forgettable films as: "Ghost Dog," "Hindsight," and "Marilyn Behind Bars." ;)

Postby Prydonian on February 13th, 2011, 12:36 am

I still would like to see this movie as I do not believe I have ever seen it, except maybe for a brief scene of Tom as the bad guy on the TV when I was much younger. Is this the one where Tom was a dark wizard? Or do I have this mixed up with another role of his? :oops:
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles