Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

Postby merlinsseer on November 9th, 2009, 10:20 am

John wrote:It's always very sad when something that has been running so long, and has brought so much happiness to so many has to close. The only consolation is that Blackpool's loss will be someone else's gain. The people that deserve our sympathy are the five members of staff who will lose their jobs.

Incidentally in the interests of clarity, I should point out that none of the exhibits will be for sale. The coat is safe!

oh thank goodness,i can't help getting all excited about it, being an ex-artist and costume junkie tends to cause these sort of fits -[i]i am working on it, no cure yet.[i]
Don't get me wrong , i do feel horrible for the people who have lost their jobs there, being out of work at the moment myself - i feel their pain. It's just a subject i sort of flinch away from, i don't handle not having a job well and hearing about others that lost jobs that i am sure they adored going to everyday-not something i really like to think about. I can only handle having one fit a day, it's very tiring.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby tracy on November 9th, 2009, 10:28 am

merlinsseer wrote:
John wrote:It's always very sad when something that has been running so long, and has brought so much happiness to so many has to close. The only consolation is that Blackpool's loss will be someone else's gain. The people that deserve our sympathy are the five members of staff who will lose their jobs.

Incidentally in the interests of clarity, I should point out that none of the exhibits will be for sale. The coat is safe!

oh thank goodness,i can't help getting all excited about it, being an ex-artist and costume junkie tends to cause these sort of fits -[i]i am working on it, no cure yet.[i]
Don't get me wrong , i do feel horrible for the people who have lost their jobs there, being out of work at the moment myself - i feel their pain. It's just a subject i sort of flinch away from, i don't handle not having a job well and hearing about others that lost jobs that i am sure they adored going to everyday-not something i really like to think about. I can only handle having one fit a day, it's very tiring.

thats great news about them not beeing put anywhere .and i wish the people who worked there all the best in finding other jobs [color=#4040BF.].oh god ive done it again[/color]
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on November 9th, 2009, 3:20 pm

don't fret tracy, we shall stumble along the quote thing together, but the font color has much improved-i can see what you're typing now :lol:
merlinsseer

Postby tracy on November 9th, 2009, 4:12 pm

thanks im not freting dont worry hope your well merlin
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby pattie anne on November 9th, 2009, 7:41 pm

What a sad, sad day for Doctor Who fans everywhere. :cry:
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby merlinsseer on November 9th, 2009, 7:51 pm

heard an ugly rumour that there is an auction book :evil:
merlinsseer

Postby Scott Lord on November 9th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Hmmmm,

Time will tell what ends up where, and yes the tragedy is that the exhibit was run by someone who gave over 30 years of his time to running a Doctor Who exhibition and it has just been taken away coldly from someone with that sort of commitment to the show.

The staff are understandable gutted, and yes there IS an auction next sunday of the contents - albeit without the 'good bits' from the BBC collection, or so we have been 'told'.

I understand that there IS an auctioneer involved with the collection of the props and this does not bode well - however, the real shame is for the staff who give it their all, and the faceless way in which the BBC have done this 'on the quiet' is absolutely heartless and deserves contempt to all who have played a part in this.

Yet another black mark for the BBC. Let's see how many years the other exhibitors give to the show. I will once again point out that the Blackpool Exhibition was just part of a commitment of 30 years from the owner, and he will not be forgotten long after the staff members of the BBC who have made this particular decision have moved on.
Scott Lord

Postby pattie anne on November 9th, 2009, 8:27 pm

BIG SIGH -- Well, that lets all us poor fans out. (Poor relatively speaking, you understand, as all HIS fans are RICH in the love of TOM, and HIS precious/beyond dollar value memories!) :D
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby John on November 9th, 2009, 10:40 pm

From the Doctor Who Exhibitions website.

Following the closure of the Doctor Who Museum on Sunday November 8th (last day open until 8pm) there will be a sell-off of graphics and various set dressing.

PLEASE NOTE: NONE OF THE EXHIBITS WILL BE FOR SALE.

The sale will comprise some large graphic panels from Blackpool and other recent exhibitions, smaller signs, photos and set dressing materials –

PVC rock face, panelling, gravestones, jungle leaves, plinths and NON TV-prop dressing items.

Some of the graphics panels measure 1900mm x 1200mm and are rigid, so please arrange suitable transport if you wish to buy any of these.

Please drop by the 'former' museum on the 15th if you would like to see and bid for some unique pieces of Doctor Who's Exhibition history.
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 10th, 2009, 8:52 am

Do i need a jungle leaf ? I don't have a jungle leaf , i think I'll pass on the jungle leaf- but a gravestone !! Now i could always find a use for a gravestone or two. I grew up almost right next door to a graveyard and sort of miss the sight of one right outside the window. That's not as creepy as it sounds, they are very serene places, especially very old ones .
merlinsseer

PreviousNext

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions