my new tom collection

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

my new tom collection

Postby tracy on January 15th, 2011, 11:47 am

here is my new tom collection once i get a display unit they will go in there with other collection of tom stuff i have.the 2 bags are from the stamp shop which arrived this week which are a wash bag and a weekend bag retro .the car and the lunch box are from ebay i was waiting for my little car to arrive which came this morning .i wont use the bags as i dont want to wear themout
tracy with out the E
tracy

Re: my new tom collection

Postby MCH on January 16th, 2011, 5:13 am

Tracy,
Is there actually someone sitting in 'Betsy'? Can't tell from the photo. I thought that was a cute old car.

I watched an interview with Jon Pertwee where he talked about when he drove a hydroplane for an episode. It was a really funny story. Evidently he took out some cameras with it, twice! Lol

Mch
MCH

Postby tracy on January 16th, 2011, 11:02 am

:D yes its tom sitting in the car
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on January 16th, 2011, 3:22 pm

What fun! But I'm surprised that it isn't Jon Pertwee in the drivers seat.
I saw some of them on EBay last night after I posted here. The cars name is Bessie not Betsy. I always call it Betsy for some reason. I'll probably never get it straight, lol.

As for getting Doctor Who stuff I wish we had better access to all the different types of things over here. the Internet is awesome in that it gives you access to it, but it would still be cool to browse through different shops and see the latest cool stuff.

I guess I'm a browser by nature. I love to wander through thrift shops. I never know what I'm going to see there. It's fun to try and figure out what some things were made for. Sometimes I see something and wonder how anyone actually got money for it in the first place.

Mch
Last edited by MCH on January 17th, 2011, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCH

Postby tracy on January 16th, 2011, 3:55 pm

tom drove the car in robot and i only collect stuff on tom as im only a tom fan only :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on January 16th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I know that Tom drove it once or twice but it was pretty much regarded as a Pertwee Doctor prop. That is why I was confused as to why the toy had Tom's Doctor in the seat.

I can't recall Tom's Doctor having any extraneous items other than the hat, scarf and coat. Let's see here.
Hartnell had a cane. Troughton had a flute. Pertwee had Bessie. McCoy had an umbrella with a handle shaped like a question mark. Davidson had the celery stalk. Colin Baker had a rainbow umbrella and what looked to be a cat pin that he would stroke for luck. doctors 9 thru 11 have the sonic screwdriver. When did the Doctor first use a sonic screwdriver? Hmmm. Oh and the psychic paper. I think that is worn out now though. :?

I just remembered K-9 ! How could I forget poor K-9? He was a Tom Doctor prop. I'm not sure that prop is the correct term but I can't think of another word.

Mch
MCH

Postby Prydonian on January 16th, 2011, 11:34 pm

MCH, the sonic screwdriver was originally introduced as a Patrick Troughton prop and was used heavily throughout the Pertwee and Baker eras until the Peter Davison story The Visatation, when it was destroyed. i twas not seen again in the classic series, but newer versions have been seen in the TV Movie and the new series. The psychic paper was largely an Eccleston device but used by David Tennant as well, but as you say, is not used as often now Matt Smith is in the role. :D
Prydonian

Postby MCH on January 17th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Pry,

Thanks for the info. Now that you said it I do vaguely recall it but I don't remember them using it in quite the same way that they do now or as often. I've only watched the classic Who episodes once so far and I watched them so fast that many things are a blur.

As for the psychic paper I think it went kaput in the newest Matt Smith episode I saw. He showed it to someone and they said it had just a bunch of squiggly lines on it and Matt said something like oh well these don't last forever. I'll have to re-watch that one.

I can't wait to see the new episode where the Doctor is in Utah. I took a trip out that way a few years back and I want to see if I recognize where they filmed it. A gorgeous place, southern Utah !

Does anyone know what the pin was of that Colin Baker's Doctor had on? And was there a story behind how he got the pin and why he stroked it for good luck?

Mch
MCH

Postby pattie anne on January 17th, 2011, 5:32 pm

colin baker adored cats, so his cat pin was a natural. [BTW there were several pins actually used in the series.] and colin was wanting something personal reflected in his costume. not sure if there is anything 'moore' attached to THAT story, other than cats having nine lives, and in stroking the pin, the good doc was hoping (due to his propensity to falling into 'orrible, dire straights and circumstances!) to have at least that many lives himself. :mrgreen:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Who dat? on January 18th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Tom wore a lapel pin in City of Death that looked like a painters pallet with three tubes of paint. I'd like to get more info on that if anyone has any.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Next

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions