Lalla Ward

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Lalla Ward

Postby Prydonian on January 10th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Lalla Ward. The final regular female companion to the Fourth Doctor. What are your thoughts on her tenure as the second incarnation of lady Romana? Was she better in her first year on the programme or her second? Should she have left when she did? had she really done everything possible as a character or could she have stuck in there a little longer?
Prydonian

Re: Lalla Ward

Postby tracy on January 11th, 2011, 11:41 am

some one has already asked tom a question on lalla last year its best to ask tom a question in the question room where he replys to everyone there
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on January 11th, 2011, 12:30 pm

I don't see a problem with starting a thread on Lalla Ward, it's good to get people's thoughts on her characterisation of Romana. Although I prefer Mary Tamm's Romana (gorgeous and was really good at deadpan humour and sparked really well off Tom Baker, more so actually than Lalla Ward who married Tom!), Lalla's Romana was very good and suited Tom's Doctor very well, although I must admit finding her a little wooden at times. She had some fantastic outfits (favourite being the girly version of Tom's costume in Destiny of the Daleks), and was good at the sci fi techno jargon, and she had a aristocratic alien quality that made you believe she really was from another planet. I think she improved as her time went on, but seemed like the sensible one in season 17 when Tom was being over-the-top and more like his equal in season 18 when he turned serious.
Toothy Grin

Postby Prydonian on January 11th, 2011, 2:33 pm

I wasn't actually asking Tom in my first post, Tracy. I was asking the general population of this board. Thanks anyway.
Thanks for your reply, Toothy Grin. 8-)
Prydonian

Postby tracy on January 11th, 2011, 7:54 pm

im sorry i mis red that i do aplogise
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Prydonian on January 11th, 2011, 9:44 pm

No need to apologise, all is well in Tom-land. I would never ask Tom directly about Lalla anyway, that is private.
Prydonian

Postby tch on January 12th, 2011, 1:31 pm

I'm a fan of both Rommanas. I liked the kind of more teacher/student relationship they had and how that evolved into her becoming more the Doctor's equal then most companions.

Would have been interesting to see her get her own story. See what she and K-9 are up to in e-space. Shame they don't do novels about the past Doctors anymore.
Or it would make a good Big Finish story.
tch

Postby sizzler on January 12th, 2011, 6:02 pm

I would like to have seen her stay on and liked second series.

Put it this way if sizz was K9 he would of stayed with her :mrgreen:
sizzler

Postby Prydonian on January 13th, 2011, 12:33 am

Romana is my favorite companion, along with Sarah Jane of course, and it is kind of sad when she leaves with K9 in Warrior's Gate, as I feel more could have been done with her as a character, and that it was really only a whim by JN_T that she was written out when she was, as he wanted to bring in his own characters and make the series his own.
Prydonian

Postby Doctor John Smith on January 21st, 2011, 12:11 am

Ahhhhhhhhhh - Lalla - I did like her, but some of the things she has said about Tom in the commentaries on the DVD's I found a little scathing - mayhaps the reason why they never do a commentary together?

:?
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years