Tom in The Silver Chair

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom in The Silver Chair

Postby Toothy Grin on July 19th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Just recently rewatched this 6 part serialization of the Narnia story The Silver Chair, and enjoyed it immensely, due largely of course to Tom's wonderful performance as Puddleglum. I'd forgotten how good he is in this, and it's also probably his first big 'comeback' role after leaving Dr Who (after his admitted failure as Sherlock Holmes), having been all but absent from our screens for the best part of a decade. Tom seems to have really relished his character here, and is wonderfully likeable despite playing a 'gloomy' character - in fact the more miserable Puddleglum becomes the funnier he seems! The scene where he gets drunk is really funny, but he also gets some very powerful scenes, especially at the end where it's actually Puddleglum who saves the day (like the Doctor!) and has an impressive speech that Tom delivers magnificently. I'm sure alot of the filming must have reminded Tom of doing Doctor Who as it was a BBC production with a fantasy theme, special effects some very Doctor Who-y sets, and Tom's costume wasn't that different from the Doctors - long coat, waistcoat, hat, just missing the scarf.
I would rate his performance in The Silver Chair as one of his best, and his Puddleglum is my favourite of his characters, after The Doctor of course.
Toothy Grin

Re: Tom in The Silver Chair

Postby tracy on July 20th, 2010, 9:52 am

:D yes i enjoyed it to another part thats altogether different for tom .he took on the roll really well as he always does
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby haglered on July 24th, 2010, 4:53 am

It's been quite a while since I saw that. I thought Mr. Baker did an excellent job.

It was only the second (and last) time I had seen Mr Baker in a role besides Dr. Who.

I was happy to see him play in that series.
haglered

Postby pattie anne on July 30th, 2010, 4:18 pm

there is another place where we talked about puddleglum. but just can't remember exactly where at the moment.

anyWHO, that part is definately in my Top Five Roles of TOM. :D

question: was puddleglum drunk or just PRETENDING to be drunk to throw off the giants? always wondered about that bit. perhaps if i knew just how well marshwiggles could hold their liquor i could answer that query myself. :lol:

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby chicoflaco on August 11th, 2010, 10:03 am

I do remember thinking what a great place to live when I first saw Puddleglum's marsh! Definitely my fav episode in all those BBC Narnia movies, thanks to Tom.
chicoflaco

Postby Prydonian on December 13th, 2010, 1:08 am

Tom's turn as the renegade Marsh Wiggle Puddleglum is a highlight in this BBC entry of the Narnia series. I hope if they make a full-budget movie version of The Silver Chair that they find someone half as decent as Tom was for the Puddleglum role.
Prydonian

Postby Moderator on January 7th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Dear Prydonian -

I think everyone on this forum would agree with you. Sadly, Tom doesn't remember much about it, other than the hours spent getting into all that makeup, which he said was very uncomfortable. Both the getting there, and the wearing of.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby Prydonian on January 9th, 2011, 1:16 am

Awwwww well thanks for sharing that particular bit of information, Moderator. I am sad of course that he doesn't recall much of his time as Puddleglum as it was my favorite non-Who role he did, but the makeup did look like it took some doing!
Prydonian

Postby MrWhat on December 16th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I read that Ron Moody did the voice for Puddleglum in the BBC Radio adaptation of the same story. Thank Christ (or one of his butlers) that he did not get on telly to do it. Have you seen Moody being interviewed,
Q "What time is it?"
Moody "When I played Fagin I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
Death by anecdote. Good God, he'd make a chair fall asleep.

Sorry to speak ill of the dead and all that.
I used to be stupid but I'm all better now.
MrWhat

Postby ThetaSigma on December 20th, 2011, 11:07 pm

I am afraid that I do not know who Ron Moody is, MrWhat. Perhaps you could enlighten me?
I do hate not getting certain references.
ThetaSigma

Next

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles