Where were you born?...and where do you currently reside?

Talk about things close to your heart.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Where were you born?...and where do you currently reside?

Postby Gold Usher on January 2nd, 2011, 3:47 am

[quote="Mchulick"]Born in Ohio, live in Georgia.

But I still refuse to say the "y'all" word. I have to keep something from my northern roots so I say "you guys" instead. Regards,
MC

[quote]

I think that falls under the "No grits shall pass these Northern lips" heading. ;)
DoctorPartner has given up on suggesting I try them with my breakfast. Oatmeal will do just fine.
Gold Usher

Postby MCH on January 2nd, 2011, 4:00 am

Dear gold usher,

Actually I love grits! It is an acquired taste that's for sure but cooked right they are delicious. You have to add butter and pepper and are good with bacon. Cheese grit cakes with a bernaise sauce is very good indeed.
I also like oatmeal and corn muffins. I understand your point though. :D

I guess I have been in the south a long time, lol.

Regards,
MC
MCH

Postby pattie anne on January 6th, 2011, 4:56 pm

But I still refuse to say the "y'all" word. I have to keep something from my northern roots so I say "you guys" instead. Regards,
MC

but isn't that 'moore' appropriatly enunciated as:

'youze guys'

:?: :?: :?:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Who dat? on January 6th, 2011, 8:48 pm

pattie anne,
That's exactly what I thought but I was afraid to say it! I use "youze guys" from time to time and I'm not even from that part of the country. I've been known to use the "y'all" word as well.
If you remember I was born in Washington State and moved to Mississippi and that's where I first learned to talk so I learned to say things like "We all goin' down yonder for a spell." Luckily I lived in seven different states in the first 14 years so I had that stuff beat out of me fairly quickly. :lol:
Diversity is a good thing as long as you don't take it too far!
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby The Cloaked One on January 6th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Never used ta said 'y'all.' I was born in Portsmouth, Virginia and ended up moving all over the country as well. I'm currently way up in the northern iceberg known as Alaska. XD
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby pattie anne on January 6th, 2011, 11:27 pm

"if we can't laugh at ourselves ... we are lost."
pattie anne

or is that ...

"i laugh ... because i am lost."
pattie anne

:?: :?: :?:

never can remember which it is.

:?

:lol:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby MCH on January 7th, 2011, 4:49 am

Lol, you'ze guys sleigh me! :lol:

Now that I think on it the 'you guy's I picked up was from Ohio which I reckon is technically a mid-western state. When I first moved to Georgia I was considered a Yankee from the north. They don't seem to care where in the 'northern' latitude states you're from. A Yankees a Yankee, lol.

It's rather amusing sometimes because some northern or Midwestern peoples can't tell exactly where I'm from. I am married to a mid-westerner and he has influenced my speech as well.

Pattie, were you old enough when you moved to Mississippi to feel the culture shock! I had such a hard time in school at first because I did not understand what the teacher was saying half the time, lol. And I didn't understand why there were different water fountains in public places.

I love to hear all the different ways people have of saying the same thing. Such a wonderful diversity of language.
I did a small bit of research once about where our American language came from. I had never realized that the British Iles has sooo many different dialogs and nuances and that you can trace here in the US where the people originated from in the UK. Fascinating stuff.

To the Cloaked One, I have been watching the tv show, Sarah Palin's Alaska. I LOVE all the beautiful scenery and animals. My hubby and I were considering taking a cruise there this year. However, I would dearly love to see England as well. There is so much history there. I love museums, old towns and local flora and fauna. And, of course, I'd love to meet Tom. :P

Regards,
MCH
MCH

Postby gobs o'cats on January 7th, 2011, 6:53 pm

As I was explaining to Merlin lately, here in Virginia there's "you" meaning the one person to which I am speaking, then there's "y'all" which denotes the two or a few more to which I am imparting wisdom, and finally there's "ALL y'all" expressed with accompanying circular motion to show the whole big stupid bunch I'm blessing out. Examples:

"YOU had better quit playing that video game and take the trash out!" -Spoken to husband.

"I done told Y'ALL to take out the trash now." -Spoken to husband and the nephew who are playing the video game and not taking out the trash.

"I hope ALL Y'ALL can find aren't squeamish about blood and body parts." -Spoken to the rescue squad members who have been called to the scene after the trash truck came and left, and the trash is still in the kitchen.

My husband (who is a Yankee -and that's different from a Yank) now understands. ;)
gobs o'cats

Postby mikotyk on September 5th, 2013, 3:10 am

I was born on April 18th in Kingston, Pennsylvania. I grew up in neighboring Wilkes-Barre (named for the British politicians John Wilkes and Isaac Barre), lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, Norfolk, Virginia, Patuxent River, Maryland, Gulfport, Mississippi, Ocean City, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and I now live Carbondale, Pennsylvania.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby MCH on September 5th, 2013, 3:51 am

I was talking to a couple of New Yorkers the other day about sayings that southerners have. One they did not understand was the use of the words fixin' to. Such as I'm fixin' to explain why they say fixin' to only I don't really know why they say fixin' to. Fixin' usually emplies that there is something that needs to be repaired. It needs to be fixed. But in this case fixin' is used like "getting ready to" do something or about to do something.

Another unusual use of words heard in the southern U.S. is "getting shut of." this is used instead of getting rid of. I have many old items in the house that I would like to get shut of. I hear old timers use this.

I also have heard many people add er to the ends of words that don't normally end in er. Like Atlanter instead of Atlanta. language is an amaizing thing.
MCH

Previous

Return to Home, Hearth and Heart