Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

Postby Scott Lord on November 8th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Today is the last day to visit the Blackpool Dr Who exhibition before it closes down! This is a terrible shame, and having ben a 'regular' for a while now it is a very sad day.

If you would like to comment about any visits you might have made to Dr Who exhibitions, perhaps we can make sense of the BBC's latest 'cutback' choice...

If you don't know, then the location hosts a rather famous costume as worn by a certain Mr T. Baker - just to keep this post topical to this website!

I don't think we are allowed to put up links, but I'm sure a quick google search of this news will get you to the relevant sites...
Scott Lord

Re: Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

Postby tracy on November 8th, 2009, 12:07 pm

thats such a shame mum and dad use to take me there alot when i was little during toms era . was there a petition to try and stop it from closesing its been there for years why take it away now
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Scott Lord on November 8th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Ahh, now that's is an interesting point about the petition business!

I have gotten to know the people running it very well (being a regular visit to the shop to hunt down my missing books from the original series!), and I get the impression that this is a typical 'London/Cardiff-centric' decision. I get the distinct impression the BBC would rather nobody be told about this until after it has happened!

I also hear ugly stories about auctioneers visiting the place to 'eye up the contents'. This does not bode well in my eyes, as I understand the Blackpool exhibition is heavily laden with original series props - from the 1st Doctors walking canes through to original costumes from many of the Doctors (Tom's Logopolis outfit included!)

The atmosphere in there is great, and I understand the numbers of visitors is very healthy indeed. The decision seems to have been made without much consultation or consideration involved. I'm afraid I may sound cryptic, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble as there 'almost' seems to be an 'official secrets directive' from the BBC to not talk about this!!

I em editing this now for the third time, as I don't wish this post to go into a negative space! What I will say is that after spending about four hours yesterday soaking up the atmosphere, I really think that closing down the exhibition is a bad idea! If it is for financial reasons, perhaps I should consider not paying my enforced license fee because times are hard for all of us....

Reasons why Blackpool should not be closed down:

1) I actually am providing reasons why the place should be kept open (which is more than the BBC are giving for reasons to close it down!!)

Reason 1: I can give reasons to keep it open!

2) A bunch of lookalike actors came to entertain the crowds. One of which was a fantastic 'Davros'! I cannot even begin to describe how good he was as he chatted (well, talked TO - it was Davros after all!) with the audience. He was trying to 'recruit' people to become Daleks and one of his tricks was to find out what was the kids favourite colour - and offer to turn them into that colour of Dalek! There were quite a few 'pink' Daleks in the making I can tell you!!

Reason 2: Yes, it is Blackpool and yes, people want pink Daleks! So what?!! Blackpool is a wonderful place with wonderful people who come and see a wonderful exhibition! Is this an atmosphere that the BBC wishes to distance itself from?

3) We all have read about the unique place Dr Who has in this nations hearts - how Grannies can watch it with the young children etc etc. I have always read about this, but yesterday I chatted to ... a granny! She told me how much she used to enjoy John Peterwee as her grandson ran around the exhibition as we stood in the 'new series' bit! Something the BBC might find useful (I think this is called 'getting to know your audience'!) is that her grandson did not fanatically watch the new series. No, I am not making this up! He did however watch the new 'Sarah Jane' series... with K9! In fact, mentioning the word 'K9' invoked a twitching kid running around yelling 'K9, K9' in a very excitable tone!!

Does the BBC wish to remove itself from it's past when the nation still remembers (and lives) it .... AND the next generation still respond to the 'traditional' (I hate using that word!) side of Dr Who? I say this here because I would hate to see the BBC do to the exhibitions what it has done to the show - and that is to 'modernise' it!!

Reason 3: Unless the place is making a loss, why does the BBC want to close it down and move (some) of it's contents elsewhere - is Blackpool a model of how to be a success? And why do the other exhibitions need help with more props? Are they struggling to get the atmosphere right? (Yes, I have been to other exhibitions and maybe this is a rhetorical question...)

I could go on, but I am sure I have made my point somewhere in there. After all, this is Tom Bakers website for goodness sake, and I don't want to be accused of stirring!

I will finish this with a big bow to Tom - after yesterday I went home and watched Destiny of the Daleks. What more is there to say? If anyone from the BBC dares to utter the word 'traditional' then that would be the end of the BBC as we thought we knew it - if only I could launch a Sontaran fleet in their direction!!

I've never met Tom, and yes I am like everyone else here - my early life was shaped by the series in ways that keep evolving and revealing themselves to me as time goes one! Unfortunately I am getting older and more crotchety - especially when I read this and realise how much I'm ranting!

Maybe it's time for me to regenerate? Now, if the BBC sell off Toms old costume..... :D
Scott Lord

Postby tracy on November 8th, 2009, 7:10 pm

i like all that you have said and dont think you are stirring you are just making your point of view.like you say why after all these years close it down when its stiill getting the crowds in. its been along time since ive been but would have gone back to visit it sooner or later im sorry for the people also who had a job there to which they loved so dearly and im sure we all wish them well in finding somethink else which they love so dearly its a shame that all the dr who fans couls not club together to start up an dr who exibtition by the fans but on the other hand it would i guess cost to much to fund
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Scott Lord on November 8th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Well, I have just returned from the exhibition. It is now closed (8pm) for good.

I have photographs, and they will appear on the website linked to the exhibition - but as we can't post links (!!) then I hope I can mention the word 'google' and 'dr who exhibition' !!

Apparently Stephen Moffet turned up at the exhibition today - and didn't know about the BBC decision.

Says it all doesn't it?
Scott Lord

Postby tracy on November 8th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Scott Lord wrote:Well, I have just returned from the exhibition. It is now closed (8pm) for good.

I have photographs, and they will appear on the website linked to the exhibition - but as we can't post links (!!) then I hope I can mention the word 'google' and 'dr who exhibition' !!

Apparently Stephen Moffet turned up at the exhibition today - and didn't know about the BBC decision.

Says it all doesn't it?
you cant live far then from black pool . thats it then the end of a good thing
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on November 8th, 2009, 10:06 pm

this is sad, so very sad. the whole thought of all those pieces of British television history in the hands of vultures that will do nothing more than throw them on ebay to be forever lost...i feel sick.

i admit that i would give my right eye and arm for a chance to own that coat from " Logopolis ". not only because it was Mr. Baker's costume , but because, quite frankly it is one eye popping , jaw flapping , drop dead, gorgeous, artistic masterpiece of costuming. I love the cut, the color, the way it flows and moves, the little details - the whole costume is stunning and should be preserved , cherished and admired based on it's beauty alone.

( I also admit that if i had it, every once in a blue moon i would curl up in it to read a favorite book or two ) The thought that it's fate is an ebay auction ( that i would never win ) , i shudder. Please somebody go rescue that costume !! MR. BAKER GO GET YOUR COAT !!!!

Lord knows what will happen to it now, what will happen to all those wonderful pieces that should be saved so that more generations of D.W. fans coming along have a chance to admire and share with past generations . A common bond of fondness for a children's program that made so many so happy and tossed many a family all together on the sofa in perfect harmony. You can't buy that on ebay.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby tracy on November 8th, 2009, 10:12 pm

merlinsseer wrote:this is sad, so very sad. the whole thought of all those pieces of British television history in the hands of vultures that will do nothing more than throw them on ebay to be forever lost...i feel sick.

i admit that i would give my right eye and arm for a chance to own that coat from " Logopolis ". not only because it was Mr. Baker's costume , but because, quite frankly it is one eye popping , jaw flapping , drop dead, gorgeous, artistic masterpiece of costuming. I love the cut, the color, the way it flows and moves, the little details - the whole costume is stunning and should be preserved , cherished and admired based on it's beauty alone.

( I also admit that if i had it, every once in a blue moon i would curl up in it to read a favorite book or two ) The thought that it's fate is an ebay auction ( that i would never win ) , i shudder. Please somebody go rescue that costume !! MR. BAKER GO GET YOUR COAT !!!!

Lord knows what will happen to it now, what will happen to all those wonderful pieces that should be saved so that more generations of D.W. fans coming along have a chance to admire and share with past generations . A common bond of fondness for a children's program that made so many so happy and tossed many a family all together on the sofa in perfect harmony. You can't buy that on ebay.
they should give tom the coat back and let him decide i also dont want it to just to any one who will just leave it to rot please tom hope you get to read this
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on November 8th, 2009, 10:19 pm

It's always very sad when something that has been running so long, and has brought so much happiness to so many has to close. The only consolation is that Blackpool's loss will be someone else's gain. The people that deserve our sympathy are the five members of staff who will lose their jobs.

Incidentally in the interests of clarity, I should point out that none of the exhibits will be for sale. The coat is safe!
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 8th, 2009, 10:22 pm

toms no 1 fan wrote:
merlinsseer wrote:this is sad, so very sad. the whole thought of all those pieces of British television history in the hands of vultures that will do nothing more than throw them on ebay to be forever lost...i feel sick.

they should give tom the coat back and let him decide i also dont want it to just to any one who will just leave it to rot please tom hope you get to read this

[bI agree, he can do as he likes with it, but just save it from ebay !!! it's a piece of artwork[/b]
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Next

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions