The time war

This is the place to talk about what Doctor Who - or Tom Baker as the Doctor - has meant to you in your life.

Moderator: Moderator

The time war

Postby MCH on December 22nd, 2010, 5:09 am

I'm a fairly new Who and was wondering what information was out about "the time war." I know the basics about the daleks in a battle to the end with the time lords. And something about the time lords not wanting the daleks to win so they were going to destroy the universe?
What lead to the doctor having to destroy his planet and race? And how did he do it? And how was it that there were no galifreyans off planet when it happened?
MCH

Re: The time war

Postby MCH on December 24th, 2010, 5:33 am

Is there some other place or time where I can find out some information on the time war saga?
Any one? Any little scrap of knowledge? "sigh" I was hoping that some kind soul would take pity on my lack of knowledge and guide me to the place of knowing. Instead I think that I have wandered into some sort of vortex where I can see you but you cannot see me. " shrugs"
MCH

Postby Moderator on December 24th, 2010, 11:27 am

Dear Mchulick -

Don't despair. People here about are very (hopefully also, merry) busy at this particular time of year.

And too, when one starts a a topic one is just never sure where it will go ... if anywhere. I know from personal experience, on several forums actually, something will pop into my head that I think is very interesting, or exciting; or I find something out on the net that I am just sure people will think is only the next best thing to white bread; or like in your case, I ask a question, and then nothing happens. No one says anything. :(

Still, just hang in there, ol' thing, and someone may yet stumble in, that knows much more than either you or I about your subject.

Till then, maybe this will be of some help to you (from the wikipedia.org entry):

The Time War, more specifically called The Last Great Time War, is a conflict within the fictional universe of the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. The conflict pitted the Time Lords against the Daleks and resulted in the mutual destruction of both races, caused by the Doctor.
The war has been frequently mentioned and alluded to since the series return to television in 2005, but the events and progression have never been fully explained. Short comments in various episodes act as hints, but the war was not thoroughly talked about until the 2007 season finale. The two-part special The End of Time (2009) provided further information.

You also might try a search out on the internet of your own with these words:

Doctor Who Time War

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby MCH on December 24th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Dear Dirk,
Thank you for your generous reply. As I have posted, I am a relatively new fan of Doctor Who and have many queries that beg to be answered, lol. I have indeed read the information on Wikipeadia, even all the info about each episode as I watched it. Alas, my poor old brain cannot recall much of it. It can be trying, you know, being an "ol' thing". :roll: thanks for that, btw. 8-)

One day in my search for answers I hit upon this website. Very cool thought I ! So much stuff about Tom Baker and he even personally answers some questions ! I love the photos as well. Websmarts are not my strong suit, however, and try as I may to get things right I usually end up in some sort of mess. I apologize for causing any disturbance and hope that I didn't make a horrible first impression. I wondered if that was why most of my postings were not responded to. There also is the possibility that my posts were not all that reply worthy. 'shrugs' it happens. But since there were replies to other posts in the same thread the assumption that people are just busy seemed less likely.

Regardless of all that I am enjoying learning more information about Tom both as the most endearing of the Doctors and his life and works outside the Whoverse. Seems like a pretty awesome dude and yes I have done research on the other doctors as well. Enquiring minds have ta know ya know, lol.

Any who, thanks again for your reply. Enjoy the festivities of the season !

Regards,
MC
MCH

Postby pattie anne on December 24th, 2010, 4:51 pm

dear MC -

RE the Time War, there is also a very great lot of mis-information and speculation abounding 'out there' too. so i think people may be a bit leary about answering you, as they don't want to say something that isn't "canon." which you give the impression that, that is what you want. ["just the facts, ma'am." - dragnet ]

naw, you haven't made a terrible first impression. you just want to know. [as do all we here about assembled.]

you might like to try other dr who related Forums too, although THAT is a bit of a two-edged sword, as some of them are "TOM Terrific" [old cartoon series] and others are just plain - for want of a better word - :twisted: EVIL :twisted:

oh, and yes, welcome! :mrgreen:

best,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby MCH on December 25th, 2010, 6:34 am

Thanks for the posts Dirk and Patty. I am a very curious person and very detail oriented. When I'm looking for information I try and dig as deep as I can to get things in a proper order. Not easily done.

I once followed the marvel comics X-Men series for 12 years. Talk about continuity issues! But I was in love with the character Gambit. Until they paired him off with Rogue. Then I lost interest. Lol

I find the Doctor Who shows to be very entertaining. The old and new ones. I've never read any books or listened to any audio books. I can't say that I've ever listened to an audio tape. I have seen the golden voyage of sin bad and almost didn't recognize Tom. Great make up. Good villain part. I've never been to the British Isles so anything that went on there I did not see.

As for information about the time war, I wish that the powers that be at BBC would make something to close that giant gap in the Whoverse. I'd say it was long over due.
MCH

Postby tch on December 25th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I think we've only gotten bits and hints about the Time War and the plan is to keep it that way, as Davies and Moffat were smart enough to realize that the Time War that fans image will always be cooler than anything that they could put on the TV screen.

So, we know it was Daleks vs Time Lords and went really badly, and the Doctor was forced to seal off his own planet as the Time Lords had become as bad as the Daleks in the course of fighting them, but not much more.

Most anything else is us fans playing 'What if' and filling in the gaps. Which drives some people crazy, not knowing, but I think is part of the fun.
and personally, I think the episode 'The Lodger' gives us a hint that there were some Time Lords off planet when Galifry was sealed off.
tch

Postby MCH on December 25th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Yes, I wondered about that TARDIS that crash landed, but the episode also had a statement that the occupants were dead. Or maybe that was just the pilot and the others are still on earth. As you said, much can be read into things, lol.
And yes, it all is just a bunch of fun. :lol:

Thanks for your reply !

MC
MCH

Postby tch on December 26th, 2010, 12:13 am

While the gaps in Who history are sad, things like the Time War, the gap in the sixth Doctor's run and the 'wilderness years', they also are huge opportunities for fans imaginations to go nuts and have fun.

Sad as I was about how roughly Colin Baker's Doctor was treated, I put together a list of new companions and old aliens for him to encounter to get me through my grief and it was fun to swap ideas with friends.
tch

Postby MCH on December 26th, 2010, 2:32 am

In an old episode, forgive my bad memory, they showed Some Galifreyans that lived outside of the city. Was that supposed to be the only major city on the planet? I guess it was just the citadel for the time lords? Not every Galifreyan could be a time lord? What did the other people do then? They couldn't all be hunter gatherer types. I guess that's just another place for the imagination to explore.

I missed taping the first couple of minutes of the PROM Doctor Who special. That goofy machine drives me batty.
I'm with you on graham norton. I can only take so much of him. I watched David Tennant on his show. It was ok. I don't like the red chair part of the show. Wait a second, DT was on there 2 times. The first was the skit with the TARDIS outside.

What episode was it where the 4th doctor claimed his title on Galifrey and was very aggressive at first? I was shocked as most viewers probably were at his hostile demeanor. Tom did a great job with that switch in personality.

MC
MCH

Next

Return to What Doctor Who and/or Tom Baker means to me