What is Your First Memory Of TOM?

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: What is Your First Memory Of TOM?

Postby Prydonian on December 13th, 2010, 1:20 am

My first memory of Tom was as the Doctor, the episode was either Robot or The Ark in Space. Great times, wonderful memories.
Prydonian

Postby MCH on December 21st, 2010, 5:14 am

I think it was in the 80's though it has been so long that I can't really remember it well. Or maybe it's my old brain damaged mind. Any who, I caught snippets of random episodes back when. I remember seeing a guy in a long coat with a long scarf with a strange looking and funny sounding metal dog. Because I saw so little of it the shows never made any sense so I stopped watching it.
When the series started with doctor # 9 I Still wasn't interested. It wasn't until doc # 10 that I started watching the program. I was hooked watching David Tennant. Though, any time over the years that I talked about the show I always remembered the name Tom Baker as "the best" doctor. Funny that. But his name and image stuck in my brain.
This year, in a few short months I have obsessively watched most of the doctor who episodes and found that I really enjoyed them. As preposterous as the stories and monsters are the actors made them quite entertaining. Seeing such a broad perspective of talented actors in only a few shorts months was a great opportunity to see how and what each actor brought to the character.
Tom Baker stands out as the preeminent model for the man called the doctor. The doctors basic/core character that the other actors use to form their doctors character.
Of course William hartnell, Patrick troughton and Jon pertwee preseeded Mr Baker and they were all very good actors but they didn't seem to want to flesh out the doctor like Tom did.
Anyways, I love to watch the shows even though I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing them when I was a youngin'. But as an adult I can enjoy them in an entirely different way.
MCH

Postby Prydonian on January 9th, 2011, 1:23 am

Lord knows it has been a long time since those days in the 80s when I would sit through entire stories on Saturday afternoons watching Tom on PBS! But I still hold a soft spot for his Doctor even though I have seen the others as much as fortune and oppurtunity have allowed. But I keep on coming back to Tom who played the definitive Doctor hands down. :D
Prydonian

Postby Irina on March 22nd, 2014, 4:44 pm

Hello all, it's great to be here!

My first memory of Tom is Sherlock Holmes in The Hound Of Bascervilles, many years ago, in my teens (I was and is a fan of Doyle stories). Name stuck in my mind. Since then, I heard a lot about his Doctor but those seasons never were on our TV (in Russia) so only recently I started to watch them (after seeing all new ones) - and I enjoy his performance so much. I just fell in love with this incredible, gorgeous guy from the very first scene (and the talk of brontosauruses! )))
Of course now I found and watched Hound again - this gorgeous voice alone makes him such an enjoyable Holmes.
Irina

Postby NICHLOAS R on March 26th, 2014, 10:22 pm

"yes robot and then his face looking at me from the boxes of weatabixs in the supermarkert I collected them all wish I had them the sets go for £80 a time now season 12 best in doctor who history . hence I got the script book a few years a go lucky to have it autographed by tom liz and nick cortney :D
NICHLOAS R

Postby tony ingram on April 8th, 2014, 6:39 am

I think my earliest memory of Tom is from Genesis of the Daleks, early in 1975; Tom, as the Doctor, was trying to get Davros's henchman to open his wall safe. I have no idea why that stuck in my mind, I'd only have been five years old. It's one of my earliest memories of anything.
tony ingram

Postby Captain Rum on April 18th, 2014, 12:54 am

My earliest memories are of two things....the video for "Bohemian Rhapsody" scaring the hell out of me, but I was only 234....I mean 2 & 3/4. The other is of Tom as The Doctor with Sarah Jane, in "Pyramids of Mars", lots of action that had me gripped, even at such a young age, one of the many appeals of Doctor Who...and Tom :D I'm middle-aged now, but thanks to the grip on me that is the wonder of Tom playing the 4th Doctor I don't think it will ever go away. Had the pleasure of meeting Tom in '97, he was my hero (I bet most people on here like me would say that with pride...and of course he still is!) and I was really nervous, but he was fantastic and chatted to me and my old school mate (who was running the book shop Tom was signing his autobiography in) all about school and Doctor Who and spent ages chatting to everyone in the queue :)
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Previous

Return to The man himself