Twenty Questions For Official Tom Merchandise

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Twenty Questions For Official Tom Merchandise

Postby pattie anne on December 18th, 2010, 4:40 am

dear "buoys and gulls" -

congratulations to all of the winners! am so very happy for all of you. APPLAUSE-APPLAUSE-APPLAUSE

thanks too, to TOM and Sue, for providing those really neat prizes. TWO BIG THUMBS UP

and to dirk our ever faithful mod ... oh, never mind, for the moment. (he is probably asleep at the switch after all that judging.) but wasn't that plumb courteous of him to tell all of us folks [especially the winners] the results just as soon as he was able? catch you later, old man! ;)

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Gold Usher on December 18th, 2010, 6:23 am

:lol:
I didn't think I've have a chance against some of the whiz kids here with a couple of the questions.
I am truly pleased with third...it will go great alongside the Mona Lisa (that truly is a fake in more ways than one ;) as we worked out at one of the Gathers)

But I'm still stuck on #15 I know that's not the right answer...I think.

So I'll be patient and see what the correct answers are when Dirk wakes up.
Gold Usher

Postby tracy on December 18th, 2010, 11:19 am

congratulations to the 3 winners who dat.donnarose and gold usher well done .ive corrected my post as i didnt see the early post on who won silly me well done all 3
Last edited by tracy on December 18th, 2010, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby donnarose on December 18th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Oh. . . .my. . . gosh! :shock:

I just logged on here first this morning (usually I'm on FB), just to see who won (not thinking it was me b/c there are people here who know SO much more than I do).

I looked to see if I had any PMs thinking that's how we were going to be notified. When there was no PM from Dirk, I thought, ok, well, there are people who know so much more than I do, so I shouldn't be surprised.

So I then I started to scroll through the 3 pages of posts to find Dirk's announcement. I was very impatient b/c I'm on dial-up this morning and then the page was taking *forever* to load.

Then I saw Dirk's announcement and I couldn't believe my eyes! :shock:

Thank you *SO* much! I must confess that I will be giving this to my dd who had spine surgery in September of 2009.

It was at that time she discovered "Doctor Who" and started watching the episodes via Netflix. She got me watching, too, as when Doctor Who came on tv back in my day, it was usually run around midnight on the local PBS station, and I was usually in bed by that time.

Anywho, this will be a Christmas gift (if it arrives in time) for my daughter or I will save it for her birthday which is January 19 (1 day before Mr. Baker's). :D

Again, thanks so much to Mr. and Mrs. Baker, the moderators, Dirk, anyone whom I may not have thanked.

This prize comes at a time when we very much need it and it will bring so much joy.

And Dirk, feel free to cut and paste my answers. If you can't find them, let me know and I should be able to retrieve them from my PMs and I can do it.

You all had some toughies, but I did answer them all myself--and I found the info on this forum, PA's forum, and "google."
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby Moderator on December 18th, 2010, 4:32 pm

DonnaRose's Answers Officially verified:

1) Where was Tom Baker born?
LIverpool, England, UK

2) What was the name of Tom's Catholic Order?
The De la Mennais Brothers originating from Ploërmel in Brittany

3) What branch of the military service was Tom in?
The Royal Army Medical Corps

4) What was the name of the ship Tom served on in his time in the merchant marines?
The Queen Mary

5) How tall is Tom?
His "official" height is recorded at 6'3" (1.91m).

6) What colour was Tom's hair before it turned that lovely silver?
dark brown

7) What Doctor Who was Tom?
Fourth Doctor

8) Name four things Tom was famous for, in his portrayal of the good doctor from Gallifrey:
Jelly babies; the long, trademark scarf; toothy grin, childlike curiosity (also several other attributes accepted)

9) After living in Kent, England, for many years, where in the world did he and his wife (and 5 cats) bugger off to for a few years?
Toulouse in south west France

10) Name the titles of his two written works?
"Who on Earth is Tom Baker?" and "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs."

11) Name the titles of the two books of children poetry he wrote for and compiled?
"Never Wear Your Wellies In The House" and "The Boy Who Forgot to Grow Down"

12) What is hat size?
7 and 3/8

13) What is his shoe size?
Size 12

14) Tom provided the Voice Over for numerous TV and radio ads, including what New Zealand, Beer?
Tui Beer

15) Tom Baker narrated which Patrick Troughton Doctor Who Audio Adventure?
The Power of the Daleks

16) Wearing a tutu, what on earth was Tom doing and who with?
He was dancing with Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy author Douglas Adams.

17) What was the nickname Tom bestowed upon the doctor, Jon Pertwee?
"The Tall Lightbulb"

18) In what year did Tom, while in character as the Doctor, turn on the Blackpool Illuminations?

19) What is the name of the renowned impersonator, and star of the comedy series Dead Ringers who has repeatedly done impersonations of Tom as the Doctor?
Jon Culshaw

20) A song named after Tom appeared on what groups album: Travelogue. The tune was an instrumental.
The song is "Tom Baker." In 1981 it was released as the B-side to their "Boys and Girls" single. The instrumental track was re-released on some CD versions of their Travelogue album.

BONUS PHOTO QUESTION:

21) Who on earth is this man?
Thomas Stewart Baker

And should it be needed:

***The Official Tie Breaker*** Question

22) Name three very famous British Theatre stages Tom has performed on.

Bristol Old Vic Theatre, Shaw Theatre, Cambridge Theatre (and several others accepted)

Postby Who dat? on December 19th, 2010, 6:30 am

Oh my gosh! I didn't think for even one moment that I had any chance at all. There are so many Who know so much more than I. Second place is just unbelievable! I've been hunting around for His book and now I get to hear him read it!
I don't even know what to say, I am humbled.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby donnarose on December 19th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Well, whodat, I feel the same way. I didn't think I had a chance at all with so many dedicated fans.

I, too, am humbled.

And also, I don't remember the last time I actually won something. :lol:

I think it had to have been over 30 years ago.
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby Moderator on December 19th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Dear Members of Tom -

Something else I just discovered, as the email and land mail addresses have come in. You are all three American Dr Who fans, from the good ol' USA. :shock: How about that :?:

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby Gold Usher on December 19th, 2010, 4:06 pm

See? Tom is very popular all around the Universe :lol:

Remember, analog broadcast signals fell off the curvature of the Earth and continued out into space.
Somewhere in the Cosmos, Tom is the Doctor travelling around with his companions. If anyone/thing is out there with enough resources to cobble together a reciever (an alien SETI program ;) ) they're in for a jolly good time if they lock onto that beam!
Gold Usher

Postby Who dat? on December 20th, 2010, 2:57 am

I was thinking about mentioning that US fans took the honors but thought better of it. I think it has actually nothing to do with nationality and more to do with sanity, or the lack of it :lol: We US fans feel as close to Tom on this site as everyone does. We love Him!

edited to fix my errors.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

PreviousNext

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions