Coping with Fame!

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in November to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.
Tom will answer a maximum of 30 questions per month.

Coping with Fame!

Postby rawtec on November 20th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Dear Tom,

At the very height of your popularity how did you manage to cope with the media and public scrutiny, given that so many people in the public domain today fail to handle the pressure.

Is it the strength of one's own personality or is the modern media's hunger for 'news' a different beast than say in the 1970's?

Thank you in advance,
Rob
rawtec

Re: Coping with Fame!

Postby Tom Baker on November 22nd, 2010, 12:20 pm

Rob,

I simply included the media into my life. After all, they had largely created me and to go on existing, I co-operated with them and tried to keep them supplied with what the fans wanted. The popular press is nearly always right. They know what fascinates their readers so I just went along with them. They kept me in the public eye, which helped me, and in return I tried to supply them with more material. I still do. I have no quarrel with the press: they have nearly always tried to be fair. Now of course I am not in the public eye and life is much quieter. But it was fun at the time.

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for November 2010