If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 7th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Many of us have said how much we'd like to see Tom appear on TV in Dr Who. I wonder, though, whether this would really be possible even if Tom wanted to do it. The fact is that he now looks completely different--not just due to the thirty years that have passed, but his look is now much more distinguished and stately, not the zany 'teeth and curls' of old.

I certainly would not want him made up to look like he did at forty, and time lords don't age, so how could it work? Could it work at all?

What do you think?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: If Tom Did TV Doctor Who

Postby Toothy Grin on October 7th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Good question. I have mixed feelings about Tom reprising his role on TV. Part of me would be thrilled to bits to see my favourite Doctor make some sort of appearance in the new series, but another part doesn't want to see him in his old role and costume but looking so much older. His thick brown curls and tall lean figure are an essential part of the 4th Doctor's image, and being in his late 70's now there's no way that Tom can dash around like he used to do and putting a wig on him or dying his hair is not an answer.
As for Time Lords not ageing, well I disagree there. Most of the other Doctors were clearly seen to age during their eras - compare the third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) in his first story to in his last - he looks considerably older by the time he regenerated into Tom, and even Tom himself clearly aged over the course of his 7 years.
When Peter Davison reprised his role a couple of years ago they explained away his older appearance due to some sort of time distortion, but Davison didn't actually look that drastically different, whereas Tom does. I certainly don't think Tom would agree to being extensively made up to look 30 years younger, and his older appearance would be very confusing for the newer Dr Who fans (they might confuse this white-haired Doctor with Jon Pertwee). Perhaps the answer is just to hear Tom's voice in the new series and maybe see some sort of CGI/animated fourth Doctor, or just see some old clips of him.
Toothy Grin

Postby Marcello Cristiano on October 8th, 2010, 1:25 am

I would love to see TOM reprise his role on screen in New Who. If they could explain away Davison's aging, then I'm sure they could for TOM. It would be cool to see TOM, Paul McGann(another Doctor that is long overdue for another T.V. appearance) and Matt Smith teamed up in a new Three Doctors Special.
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tch on October 8th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I'd love to see Tom make an appearance on new 'Who', but I don't think it could be as the 4th Doctor.
Be cool if he was cast as a bad guy.
tch

Postby That-scarf-girl on October 11th, 2010, 2:24 am

Idefinitely agree, imagine him as the Master! He has the perfect villain AND hero voice (just look at the Golden Voyage of Sinbad), and his eyes certainly add to the image.
Bring back Tom!

Your Friend Down Under,
Samantha
An apple a day keeps the Doctor away,
But if the Doctor is cute, then bugger the fruit!
That-scarf-girl

Postby Marcello Cristiano on October 11th, 2010, 2:57 am

TOM's voice is powerful isn't it. Especially when the 4th Doctor has manic moments of anger. It's unique and rich. I wish I could sound like TOM. The one actor that has come along since that has a very powerful voice(not like TOM's though) is Benedict Cumberbatch-the star of the new series 'Sherlock'.

TOM's voice had me intimidated when he yelled "GET HER OUT OF HERE!!!" :twisted: to that woman who was crying in 'Horror of Fang Rock'. I literally jumped out of my seat as it caught me off guard!

No one before TOM or since has TOM's wonderfully unique voice. The only person who can sound remotely close to TOM's voice is John Culshaw from Dead Ringers, but he has to force himself to sound like TOM as it's not natural.

"I'M A TIMELORD. I'M NOT A HUMAN BEING. I WALK IN ETERNITY." 8-)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Prydonian on December 13th, 2010, 12:54 am

I have nothing against Tom reprising his Doctor on TV. I think there are ways around the aging issue,
and Tom just might enjoy himself if he was asked to come back and decided to do it.
With the 50th anniversary of the classic series coming in a few years' time, I hope something is done to celeberate
it on the new show. The best way to do this is to have 1 or 2 of the older Doctors back for a special adventure.
Prydonian

Postby tch on December 14th, 2010, 5:05 pm

For the 50th, I would like to see them do a special where all the new guys have a Doctor Team up ( Mcgan through Smith) and then get all the surviving older Doctors to play bits parts and cameos.

I love all the Doctors, but unfortunately, they have aged and don't look like they did, and it would take up too much screen time to try and explain the age thing away.
Plus, too big a group of Doctors and it's harder to juggle and make sure everyone gets something to do.

So, instead you have Tom as the voice of a computer, Colin playing a mad scientist etc

So, if the BBC wants to contact me, they can have the idea cheap.
tch

Postby pattie anne on January 7th, 2011, 12:05 am

and time lords don't age, so how could it work? Could it work at all?

yes they do. there was a bunch of old Time Lord dudes in "the deadly assassin," including the OLD retiring president.

and all some badie needed was a machine that messed with the docs time lines and aged them [by draining their life forces ???], something along the lines of a machine like they have already established as cannon. like the one in "the leisure hive" perhaps?

all very simply explained actually. ;)

and near the end of the story, the machine would appear to have a reverse mechanism, and matt smith's doc would be the first doc restored; and then the episode would end as matt's doc steps out of the machine's field and says: "next?"

and at the point, we would know everyone else was going to be likewise restored, and returned to their correct Time Streams, in the correct age bodies. :mrgreen:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby MCH on January 7th, 2011, 5:19 am

And don't forget the device used by the Master on David Tennant to age him about a hundred years. It was made from the Lazarus experiment. Nasty little tool that.

It always amazed me at the punishment doled out to the Doctor from the Master. And the Doctor always seemed hopeful that the Master would change. A very strange relationship between the two.

Back to Tom making an appearance in a future show. Writer's can be very creative so I'm sure they could always work something out. However, it is not their call to make I guess. Only the 'powers that be' have that, well... power.

BTW, I agree with Pattie when she stated in another thread that Tom was 'still' adored! Because HE IS! So long as he doesn't mind us being a bunch of older folks, lol. Ahem... I guess I should speak for myself here. :?

Regards,
MCH

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years