Doctor Who: Demon Quest - new Tom Audios!

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Doctor Who: Demon Quest - new Tom Audios!

Postby Moderator on September 27th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Dear Forum Posters -

So, anyone have any of them yet? And if so, any comments RE same yet?

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby tracy on September 27th, 2010, 4:19 pm

not had mine yet im waiting for them to come in at the stamp shop
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Marcello Cristiano on September 30th, 2010, 12:06 am

I will definately buy my 5 part Demon Quest at the The World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto. They had Hornet's Nest, so I'm sure they'll have Demon Quest very soon. There's also the Chapters Kiosk in any Chapters bookstore which I can order from. More than likely I will order or try to find the first volume this friday when I go to Toronto. :D
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby jaybee on October 7th, 2010, 12:19 am

I picked mine up at the Stamp Centre on Sept. 23 and got Tom to sign it. :oops:

Haven't listened to it yet, though. I'm still working on Hornet's Nest. I know, I know.... I'm slow, but I do eventually get there! :lol:
jaybee

Postby Marcello Cristiano on October 7th, 2010, 1:09 am

I just read a 4 page interview with TOM in this months Sci Fi Now magazine. It says Demon Quest will be more like a radio play than Hornet's Nest was. Hornet's Nest comes off as more of an audio book narrated by TOM. I can't wait to hear Demon Quest! :) Paul Magrs is an excellent writer, so I'm sure it will be just as great if not better than Hornet's Nest. Also I wonder what story TOM will have when he joins Big Finish audio. I remember reading in one of TOM's answers to our questions that he got the script for a Big Finish audio in the mail, and it will star him(obviously!) and Elisabeth Sladen. I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D

If TOM is not allowed to come back in the new Doctor Who, I hope he at least gets to appear in The Sarah Jane Adventures. Can you imagine TOM and Lis Sladen back together on screen?! It would be magic! Though my fingers are crossed on hopes of TOM returning in Doctor Who to team up with Matt Smith. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!! 8-)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tracy on October 7th, 2010, 9:48 am

ive just rung the stamp shop up ive now paid for part 1 and it will be with me with in the next few days then when that comes part 2 should be in then to get
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on October 7th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Finally had a chance to listen to this. To be honest, it's okay but nothing really spectacular. I didn't think it was as good as any of the Hornet's Nest stories, as the plot is very slight and not a great deal happens. It seems very laid back and Tom seems far too jolly, there's little sense of threat or tension and strangely it seems very un-Dr Who-like. It's a cosy, undemanding little tale and Tom is on good form, but never really feels like the 4th Doctor from the series to me. I'm also getting a bit tired of the Nest Cottage/Mrs Wibsey/Mike Yates thing - can't we have something new, i.e some of his old companions and some alien planet/outer space settings?
The Relics of Time isn't dreadful, but it's far too twee and unremarkable. I'll buy them all, just to hear Tom, but I hope the next one is a bit more unusual.
Toothy Grin

Postby tracy on October 8th, 2010, 3:23 pm

:D had my part 1 demon quest arrive today that was quick as i only phoned up yesterday for it .i have listioned to it and really enjoyed it .i like the name nest cottege really nice that sounds like what tom would call his house i guess.naughty mrs wibbsey putting the drs stuff out to pasture i had to laugh at some parts it was quite funny .cant wait for part 2.3.4 and 5 well done tom another great story
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on November 5th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Just listened to the second episode, The Demon Of Paris. A definite improvement I think on the previous one. One of Tom best televised stories was City Of Death, which was set and filmed in Paris. So having his Doctor have another adventure set in the French capital will immediately invite comparison with that classic story. Thankfully, it doesn't try to copy that classic in any way and it generates an excellent atmosphere that really immerses the listener in the setting of Paris in the 18th century through excellent sound effects, music and (mostly)convincing french accents. Having myself a real fondness for Paris and having been to many of the locations used in this story, I found myself warming to this tale much more than the previous installment in this saga, The Relics of Time, which I found a bit underwhelming. The tone is decidedly more sombre and chilling, not surprising given it's subject matter is a demonic killer on the loose, Jack-the Ripper style, and also more adult with it's depictions of the Moulin Rouge, and Toulouse Le Trec with his fondness for absinthe. It's probably the most adult and serious of all the recent Tom Baker audios, although wether it really feels like proper Dr Who is debatable. Tom Baker is on great form again, although we don't hear as much of him this time around as the narration is done by Susan Jameson's Mrs Wibbsey, but she makes a fine job of it.
As usual Richard Franklin makes an appearance, though sadly it's only a little cameo again, however it seems like in the next installment his role will be larger.
Overall, The Demon Of Paris is a great improvement over the first episode, it's a little grim with not much of the traditional sci-fi trappings of most classic Dr Who stories, but it's an absorbing listen with a good atmosphere and good period feel. 7/10.
Toothy Grin

Postby tracy on November 5th, 2010, 7:12 pm

:D ive had my part 2 arrive some time ago and enjoyed that to will ring up the shop next week to see when part 3 will be in
tracy with out the E
tracy

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years