Reading...What's on your pages???

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Reading...What's on your pages???

Postby fowens22 on August 13th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Yes I found torchwoid enjoyable and definatly can work something good from the children of earth but yes the books are better but generally that's usually the way because books can usually explore things that tv can not especially showing what a characters thinking adds more depth I find .
I'm quite excited as I just found a book store that specializes in sci fi and fantasy (thank you google maps) and while they only stock new doctor who books they also have a good collection of doctor who on DVD and audio books went a little crazy and got two box sets and two dr who books as well as x-men, aliens, fantastic 4 had to drag myself out before I spent the rent oh well I know where it is now
fowens22

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 13th, 2010, 10:46 pm

I just read 'Pack Animals', a Torchwood book. Gotta say I loved it!!! GO TORCHWOOD!!! :D
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Gold Usher on August 20th, 2010, 3:19 am

Have to blame Doc Eleven for this one...I finally got a copy of "Dear Theo" the letters Vincent Van Gogh sent to his brother Theo (as arranged by Irving Stone). Fascinating reading of this artist's life. I'm reading in tandem Stone's "Lust for Life" as well. Using "Lust for Life" as a bit of a synopsis and then getting the details with "Dear Theo" reading them side by side.

I think that's partly responsibie for a little kick start I've gotten to get back on the workbench in my studio for an hour in the morning and when I get home for a couple more. Making stuff I want to instead of just the commissioned pieces.
Gold Usher

Postby rawtec on August 20th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Gold Usher wrote:Have to blame Doc Eleven for this one...I finally got a copy of "Dear Theo" the letters Vincent Van Gogh sent to his brother Theo (as arranged by Irving Stone). Fascinating reading of this artist's life. I'm reading in tandem Stone's "Lust for Life" as well. Using "Lust for Life" as a bit of a synopsis and then getting the details with "Dear Theo" reading them side by side.

I think that's partly responsibie for a little kick start I've gotten to get back on the workbench in my studio for an hour in the morning and when I get home for a couple more. Making stuff I want to instead of just the commissioned pieces.

What do you make Gold Usher?

Regards,
Rob
rawtec

Postby Gold Usher on August 20th, 2010, 11:49 pm

I have to admit, it was Vincent's "a line every day" regarding his drawings.

I craft stained glass into various things from church windows down to candle holders and even miniature panels suitable for windows. Right now I have the desire to make a simple single red rose that's done in traditonal glass stainer's paint (kiln fired) in a small oval with a border. Size to be roughly about 7 inches tall I think. That'll come after the mosaic pieces I'm working on.
Gold Usher

Postby miguel of the moon on September 20th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I am currently reading, Remembrance of Things Past, by Proust.
As for me, I shall live like a Narnian even if there isn't any Narnia.
-Puddleglum
miguel of the moon

Postby philipdalton on February 15th, 2012, 2:25 pm

I've just finished reading "Not My Idea of Heaven" by Lindsey Rosa, which is a highly fascinating account of her life. I would recommend it to anyone. It is an autobiographical story of a girl brought up in a strict religious sect who suffered from an eating disorder which then goes on to deal with her adult life after leaving the sect. Lindsey is Norwich woman who had her book published online after winning the BBC's My Story competition in the category Overcoming Adversity.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby ThetaSigma on February 18th, 2012, 1:28 am

The last book that I read was Darth Plagueis, the Star Wars novel about Plagueis the Wise, the ancient sith lord, and his apprentice Darth Sidious, who, in his daily guise as Palaptine eventually rose to become Emperor of the galaxy. Great work of fiction,explains so much of the backstory for the Star Wars Prequels that should enhcnace watching the films. 8-)
ThetaSigma

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 25th, 2012, 12:16 am

miguel of the moon wrote:I am currently reading, Remembrance of Things Past, by Proust.

Ah, no wonder why we haven't seen you in a while. Six volumes, isn't it?

I've just finished Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole after a couple of failed attempts. Had it recommended to me my several people, and it is funny, if a bit too long. Sad history to it, as well.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on April 25th, 2012, 3:11 am

What have I been reading lately...

Dr. Doolittle's Zoo: found this at a library book sale. Loved this series as a kid and it is still entertaining.

Foundation's Friends: short stories, all set on a world created by Asimov. Basically a big love letter to one of the grand old men of sci-fi.
One of the most consistency solid anthologies I've read.
tch

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music