Where were you born?...and where do you currently reside?

Talk about things close to your heart.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Where were you born?...and where do you currently reside?

Postby Marcello Cristiano on September 18th, 2010, 10:31 pm

I got November 14th from 8th Doctor Paul McGann's birthday(he was born in 1959). 1973 is my guess at Dirk's age, and Swansea is the place where Russell T Davies was born. :mrgreen:
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Who dat? on September 19th, 2010, 6:40 am

Dirk is originally a Danish name so I'd say he was born in Denmark on the 15th of July 1962. He served a tour in the Royal Danish Navy where he met his lovely wife Abigail. Educated in Information Technology at The University of Helsinki in Finland. They have two kids, one of each, a dog, and a parrot.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 19th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Before I joined this forum I had some background checks done on the person running it, so I can give you some definite facts about the Moderator, 'Dirk'.

'Dirk' was born Greta Bothild Andersson, in Helsingborg, Sweden, in June 1964.

She was a baby of striking beauty and became a child actor, appearing in many Swedish films before her family moved to Hollywood when Greta was five. Her first major Hollywood film was Kittens for Marjorie, in which she starred alongside Cary Grant and Lupe Valez. Her career peak was the musical Daddy Makes Ten, when, aged seven, she appeared with Rock Hudson and Peggy Mount.

Sadly, Hollywood fell out of love with Greta/Dirk and she entered the Betty Ford Clinic for sugar addiction.

In 1975, Greta reinvented herself to kick-start her film career. She became the world's first gender and species reassignment patient and emerged as a male parrot, Spangles. Tragedy stuck as Spangles was badly wounded with a cattle prod while filming a scene featuring Dustin Hoffman as a blind and impotent zoo attendant.

Spangles/Dirk underwent surgery once more and made a comeback as Lis Sladen's left upper arm in the 1976 Dr Who story, Hand of Fear. During the filming of this story, Tom Baker touched Lis on her left upper arm and this was the beginning of 'Dirk's' friendship with Tom.

Unfortunately for Lis, Dirk and Tom became such good friends that Dirk decided to retire from films and help Tom with his career, thereby leaving Lis with no left upper arm. This was the reason Hand of Fear was Lis's final story. Although CGI has now made it possible to reconstruct Lis for her current show, it was not available in 1976.

So, while we must thank Dirk (as we now know him) for moderating this site, it should be remembered that he was at least partly responsible for Lis Sladen leaving Dr Who.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Marcello Cristiano on September 19th, 2010, 11:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love your sense of humour, Leonard! :D
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby miguel of the moon on September 20th, 2010, 8:38 pm

That's a hard question.. in part, because each day I wake up I feel like I am born anew! So, for instance, today I was born in Tibet. Yesterday, it was in a department store. The day before that it was on the back porch of my apartment in San Francisco. God only knows where it will be tomorrow! I tend to reside in trees, mountaintops, clouds, and/or wherever people are warm, welcoming and kind. That's not a strict rule, but more like a personal pattern of behavior, if you will. Still, I like the ocean side and sailboats from time to time.

Strictly speaking, I was born in Philadelphia.
As for me, I shall live like a Narnian even if there isn't any Narnia.
-Puddleglum
miguel of the moon

Postby Gold Usher on September 21st, 2010, 2:47 am

Ok...I'm a native of the Bay State of Massachuesetts born just past the mid-century (pick one...I can fit in just about any time period).

Lived "in transit" most of my life...never attended any school (exept one in Vermont) for two years in a row so that means we moved ALOT. Up and down between New Hampshire, Maryland and Vermont and finally Maine for 24 years. So now I can almost say "Native Mainer living in exile" meaning living 'away' outside of the state border.

Have a college degree in Library Science and a houseful....a huge houseful of books. Love museums and time walking around places - 1200/1700s prefered. But Florida is too 'new' to have much of interest to me where I don't go much beyond 1800. Guess it's too close to my current time :lol: Been here now 14 years and somewhat 'stuck' after a fashion.
Gold Usher

Postby donnarose on September 23rd, 2010, 11:54 am

I'm not very good with this sort of thing, but I'd venture to say that Dirk is not an only child.

Perhaps there is at least one other sibling--a brother.

Perhaps you were educated somewhere in the UK and you do hold some kind of university degree. I'm thinking that it is a degree in the Arts.

When I googled "Dirk Gently," I came up with the name of a fictional detective, so I would also say that the glasses and goatee in your emoticon are a disguise and that you wish to remain a man of mystery. ;)

Oh, and you like Douglas Adams. :lol:
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby Moderator on September 23rd, 2010, 1:26 pm

Dear Members of Tom -

I must say that what you lack in actual facts, you have more than made up with your clever and creative responses. And rather spookly, one of you was very spot on with several of their observations. Of course I can't tell you which one of you THAT was, nor which facts are in reality valid, but I will admit I don't actually have a goatee, and I really do like Douglas Adams. And if you don't mind, I will grant this off shoot of the Topic, permission to continue, and see who else will add their two cents/two pence. As I have said before that the fans of Doctor Who in general and the fans of Tom Baker in specific are the most intuitive and intelligent on the planet. Oh yes, and one final note, which I am sure Marcello will agree with also, you are encouraged to continue to post posts more truer to the original intent of this Topic too.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby MCH on December 22nd, 2010, 10:02 pm

Born in Ohio, live in Georgia.

I only lived in Ohio for about 2.5 years. 7 years in Tennessee and the rest in Georgia. The "natives" here have accepted me as one of their own now that I have been here so long, lol. But I still refuse to say the "y'all" word. I have to keep something from my northern roots so I say "you guys" instead. And I still like Goetta and Skyline chili.

Regards,
MC

Oh and BTW,

DIRK,

I think that you are an intergalactic traveller that lost his towel long ago. You reside in a cubical now because of the trauma of having been a slave of the "Vogons" for many years. It just feels right somehow.

You sleep with a key under your pillow but you don't remember what it is to and you have a strange feeling every time you look at the watch in your desk drawer.

You have no memory of your childhood but you do, strangely enough, recall sliding down a sand dune on Mars on a piece of cardboard with the words Piggly Wiggly on it.

And, this is the most important thing of all, every time you get on an elevator you have a distinct impression that you have been there before!
Last edited by MCH on January 1st, 2011, 5:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
MCH

Postby gobs o'cats on December 23rd, 2010, 5:41 pm

I was hatched on July 6 (the year is of no import, I'm quite sure!) down the road at the local hospital. I still live here in Wide-Spot-In-The-Road - and it looks like I always will. I vascillate on that being a good thing or not. My greatgrandparents are buried here on the place and it's been in the family since my greatgrandmother was a little girl, raised by her aunt and uncle. We have about 10 acres and it's home to lots of wildlife, including a small group of deer - and the occasional invisible brontosaurus that makes Poppy bark incessantly. All in all, it's not a bad place. I'd just like to see other parts of the world, so I can appreciate this little bit more. Oh, gotta go. There's a brontosaurus on the loose now.
gobs o'cats

PreviousNext

Return to Home, Hearth and Heart