Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby DoctorWhoMAD on September 6th, 2010, 7:58 am

I think Tom was the best Doctor ever. The way he acted out the role was great, he always made you laugh. He is the best Doctor to me. Do you agree?
DoctorWhoMAD

Re: Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby tracy on September 6th, 2010, 10:18 am

:oooo yeah your certainly right there tom is the best dr . when tomleft dr who i left to so i aint seen dr who since tom left
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on September 6th, 2010, 12:35 pm

For me, the Best Doctor debate ends in an 11 way tie.

I like them all. I do have a soft spot for #4 as he was my first Doctor, but otherwise agree with a very wise man who said "Wonderful chap, all of them."
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on September 6th, 2010, 1:44 pm

I think there's little doubt, certainly from most of the people on this forum, that Tom was indeed the best Doctor ever. I do like the other Doctors (well, up to the seventh - I don't really count anything after 1989 as being real Doctor Who), but Tom is far and away the ultimate.
Toothy Grin

Postby Marcello Cristiano on September 7th, 2010, 2:47 am

No question about it. TOM BAKER IS THE DEFINITIVE DOCTOR AND THE BEST! His Doctor generated massive interest in the show all over the world, and not just in Britain. He's a huge sensation in America, CANADA(YES!!!), Italy, Abu Dhabi(as TOM famously mentions), and everywhere else on this great sphere we call Earth. Guaranteed when someone mentions Doctor Who, the first thing people think of is TOM and the long scarf. It's just so iconic. Something like this only happens once in a life-time. No one looked, acted or spoke the way TOM did, and I think that's why he is latched onto the hearts and minds of millions upon millions over the world. He was also definately the most unpredictable and alien Doctor which made for great fun in the show. TOM BAKER IS # 1!

P.S. Though I do love all the other 10 incarnations too, but TOM was my first love and as that old saying goes...you never forget your first love. TOM's Doctor brought my then child's mind on a magic carpet ride to paradise. When TOM took off in the TARDIS to see the wonders of the universe, I went with him. I'll never forget the first time I saw that wonderful man on my grandmothers rabbit ears T.V. set back in the 80's as a small child.
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 7th, 2010, 4:45 pm

That's why we're here, I'd say!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Marcello Cristiano on September 7th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Quite right, Leonard. :)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Prydonian on January 9th, 2011, 1:42 am

I have gone through phases with being interested in other Doctors past and present but it is Tom who still works his magic in a way that I can still believe in him as a renegade Time Lord who also happens to be a decent, adventerous guy who once was the greatest of my childhood heroes. The rest cannot begin to compare although I still accept them in their own right. But not like I do Tom.
Prydonian

Postby Doctor John Smith on January 20th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Tom? The Best?? Need the question be asked??? ;)
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Postby hackenbush on February 23rd, 2011, 7:20 pm

Probably not, no...however, I don't think there's a need to compare with other Doctors. I like pretty much all of them, and I've no qualms about the post-1989 series either. However, one thing I do know is that Talons, Pyramids, City, Brain etc. etc. are up there with the very best things I've ever seen...ever...and my response to Tom's Doctor, being the first I ever saw, simply cannot be matched by the others. So, I'd not necessarily always say the best...I'd *often* say the best (!)...most particularly when watching any one of those superb classics.
hackenbush

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years