Reading...What's on your pages???

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Reading...What's on your pages???

Postby fowens22 on August 7th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I'm also a devourer of books and can have up to 6 at a go (I travel by public transport to and from work) and I also have the nitpickers guide to the original trek but I read a great mixture and I'm reading dr who books right now the new ones as I'm having trouble getting older ones (have to start haunting 2nd hand bookstores again) and I have just discovered kindle and audio books so that is expanding my access to books
Other than the good doctor though I'm also reading barbarians by Terry jones, necropolis, my forbidden face and a childcare textbook
fowens22

Postby rawtec on August 10th, 2010, 3:21 am

This is quite a thread for me as I have a backlog of about 10 books and counting :D

Some are quite heavy reading, such as the late Stephen Jay Gould's 'The Structure of Evolutionary Theory', Charles Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species' and Dante's 'Inferno' :shock:

Strange that I'm leaving these until last!!!

However, I've just read 'The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter' by Russell T Davis and I'm about to embark on the novel 'The Time Travellers Wife'.

Wish me luck.

Rob
rawtec

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 10th, 2010, 4:11 am

Hi Rob. I loved 'The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter' by Russell T Davies. What did you think of it?
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby mikotyk on August 10th, 2010, 11:28 am

I'm so far behind in reading the books I'd like to read that I'd need an eternity just to catch up. I hope there are books in heaven.

Mike
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby rawtec on August 10th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Hi Marcello,

Re: The Writer's Tale: The Final chapter.

At nearly 700 pages long, the format did become a little repetitive near the end.

However, that didn't distract from the great insight into the mind of a great writer involved in one of the hottest UK shows of it's time and some of the replies to Ben were quite honest. It was interesting to see the evolution of Ben's thoughts even influencing some parts of the script, near the end!

How Russell survived those constant 6 years of late nights, worries, coffee, cigarettes and tone meetings etc.. I'll never know!
I just hope he's having a well deserved rest in LA before embarking on the new Torchwood series. I'm not sure we'll see such an honest and insightful account again of a Screenwriter's life.

Regards,
Rob
rawtec

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 10th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Thanks for your reply, Rob. :) I too am a big fan of Russell T Davies. He's my favorite WHO writer. I can't wait to see the new Torchwood in 2011! I'm already missing Captain Jack and Gwen.

For a great book on the life on Russell T Davies, check out the book T is for Television. It's a great biography of a great man. It's also approved by Russell T Davies. It has an extensive list of all his T.V. projects at the back of the book as well. Well worth picking up.

Take care,

Marcello
:D
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Marcello Cristiano

Postby rawtec on August 10th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Thanks for that Marcello,

I'll check out the book.

I feel that Torchwood really hit it's stride in 'Children of Earth', and so it was a surprise to learn the last minute deadline Russell had set himself, but what a week of TV gold it was.

For some reason the character of Gwen (Eve Myles), comes in for some stick on other forums, but for me Eve is one the best talents around and deserves her National and hopefully some International success.

Kind Regards,
Rob
rawtec

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 11th, 2010, 4:53 am

I agree, Rob, Eve Myles is a phenomenal talent that deserves greater praise. She's one of my all-time favorite actresses.

'Children of Earth' was a great story, wasn't it. The parts that really got to me emotionally where when Frobisher had to kill his family. Also when Jack has to make the decision to give the 456 his nephew. And of course the moment Ianto dies. I was in shock. The five part serial had everything. I have no doubt that Torchwood will come back stronger than ever before in 2011.

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tch on August 11th, 2010, 3:55 pm

I find I've been enjoying the Torchwood books more than the TV show. It seems more concerned with all the blood and **** they can show then giving the scripts the one more rewrite they need.
Just added 'Children of Earth' to my netflix queue, maybe that'll change my mind.

and I think Gwen gets grief by fans because she slept around on her fiance, yet whines when she had to keep job secret from him.
Good actress stuck with some bad story lines.
tch

Postby rawtec on August 12th, 2010, 1:18 am

tch wrote:I find I've been enjoying the Torchwood books more than the TV show. It seems more concerned with all the blood and **** they can show then giving the scripts the one more rewrite they need.
Just added 'Children of Earth' to my netflix queue, maybe that'll change my mind.

and I think Gwen gets grief by fans because she slept around on her fiance, yet whines when she had to keep job secret from him.
Good actress stuck with some bad story lines.

I agree that the first two Series were not consistent. It seemed to be finding it's feet as to what kind of program it wanted to be!

'Children of Earth' however, is a very different rollercoaster of a tale with the odd Russell wit in the early stages before the real dark story descends. I'm confident it will leave a lasting impression.

The same with Gwen, inconsistent characterisation in the first two Series, but a talented actress!
rawtec

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music