Tom's Commentaries

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom's Commentaries

Postby mikotyk on July 29th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:Have you noticed how in DVD commentaries they never say anything unkind about anyone?

I think it's about time they got them all drunk and the real truth came out.

While it would be interesting to see everyone just speak their minds, wouldn't such an interview become nothing more than a Doctor Who version of Jerry Springer or Maury Povich or any other of those awful daytime TV talk shows? I have great memories of watching Doctor Who and I wouldn't want any "mud" smearing the image of the show. Let's let the skeletons remain in the closet, shall we? In fact, someone get some chains and a padlock and let's put them away forever.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 29th, 2010, 1:53 pm

mikotyk wrote:While it would be interesting to see everyone just speak their minds, wouldn't such an interview become nothing more than a Doctor Who version of Jerry Springer or Maury Povich or any other of those awful daytime TV talk shows? I have great memories of watching Doctor Who and I wouldn't want any "mud" smearing the image of the show. Let's let the skeletons remain in the closet, shall we? In fact, someone get some chains and a padlock and let's put them away forever.

It doesn't have to descend into all-out war, or mud-slinging.

With absolute respect to your preference about leaving skeletons in the past, this isn't one I share myself. For me, the commentaries should provide an honest representation of the creative process involved, as far as possible. While this is definitely not directed at Tom, I feel that commentaries in general can sound slightly disingenuous at times.

An example of what I'd like to see (or hear): I recently watched the extras interview on State of Decay, in which Christopher Beadmead and Terence Dicks clearly stated that there was strong disagreement and tension between them about the direction of this story, approach, and subsequent development. This, to me, is a fascinating insight into the creative process, and far more interetesting than 90mins of actors/directors mostly congratulating each other or speculating on info that anyone can look up on IMDB.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby mikotyk on July 31st, 2010, 12:49 am

I would agree that would be interesting if it were positive criticism of something that could have been done better I just would never want to see a commentary where Doctor A criticized negatively the performances of Doctor B or Companion C and D or how such and such a director/producer/writer was an awful person to work with because they were hammered all the time or going to rehab on weekends or who was oogling who on set. While that stuff definitely "sells" nowadays and makes for great gossip I feel that it's the kind of stuff is best left for discussions at the pub/bar or within the pages of the latest film/celebrity tabloid. But, that's just me ... other people may feel differently and its their choice to want that or not.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 31st, 2010, 11:28 am

mikotyk wrote:I would agree that would be interesting if it were positive criticism of something that could have been done better I just would never want to see a commentary where Doctor A criticized negatively the performances of Doctor B or Companion C and D or how such and such a director/producer/writer was an awful person to work with because they were hammered all the time or going to rehab on weekends or who was oogling who on set. While that stuff definitely "sells" nowadays and makes for great gossip I feel that it's the kind of stuff is best left for discussions at the pub/bar or within the pages of the latest film/celebrity tabloid. But, that's just me ... other people may feel differently and its their choice to want that or not.

It's a fair point. Like you, I wouldn't want them to descend into arguments that have more to do with personal issues than the creative process.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years