On the craft of acting

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in July to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.
Tom will answer a maximum of 30 questions per month.

On the craft of acting

Postby pattie anne on July 30th, 2010, 6:59 am

Dear Mister Baker of the TOM -

Do you believe it is physically possible to act your way out of paper bag?

(rhetorical question -- And where on earth did THAT particular expression come from! )

Love,
pattie anne
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Re: On the craft of acting

Postby Tom Baker on August 5th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Dear Pattie Anne

According to my - gosh, I nearly said friends, but then realised I don't have friends - I'm a proper actor. But according to some folks who are acquainted with me I always gave the impression of being in a paper bag at all times. When I first heard this observation I swiftly glanced at one of my so called performances and was amazed, I mean amazed, to have to agree. I looked at another and then at another! Enough. There is no doubt that I look as if I'm in a paper bag, a transparent paper bag, but a paper bag for sure, and when I looked very closely I think I could see the words "Made in China" in the lower left half of the screen. Which brings me to the answer to your question. Guilty, Your Honour, of acting in a paper bag. Luckily for me there are millions of people in the world who adore paper bag acting, some just can't get enough of it, and some there are who have begged me; "Tom, darling, whatever you do never come out of your bag, it's just so cute." I could go on, but life is short and you must enjoy it.

from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for July 2010