The Planet of Evil

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Planet of Evil

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 12:11 pm

Although Louis Marks third script for Doctor Who has seldom been regarded as a classic amongst fans, Planet of Evil is one of my all time favourite Tom Baker stories.

Admittedly the plot itself may appear to be pretty run of the mill, but the story more than makes up for any deficiencies in the narrative with it's tense, foreboding atmosphere; it's just good, unpretentious storytelling, with Roger Murray-Leach's gorgeous alien jungle, and Dudley Simpson's eerie music lending the production a delightfully sinister ambience. A criticism often levelled at this story is it's realisation of the anti-matter creature, though I personally feel the effect achieved was far better and more in tune with the subject matter than yet another "man in a rubber suit".

Unfortunately the second half of the story doesn't fare quite so well, with the Probe Ship's stark white interior diminishing much of the stories earlier atmosphere, I think this was another of those times when the lights should have been turned down, nevertheless some nice performances from Prentis Hancock, Ewen Solon and Frederick Jaeger make Planet of Evil for me one of the high points of the Hinchcliffe era.

Rating: 4 Tom's out of 5
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by John on December 17th, 2009, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Re: The Planet of Evil

Postby merlinsseer on November 5th, 2009, 1:41 pm

John wrote:A[b]I liked the contrast between the ship's interior and the rest of the set, it made that creepy jungle seem all the more creepy, moldy and gooey.
This story has always had a very strange atmosphere to it. it is much darker over all from the stories before it. The Doctor and Sarah Jane seem to have a marked difference in their relationship , it seems a little more mature-almost like they have had a huge fight,worked it all out but are still sort of tippy toed around each other. This is also one of the few times that the Doctor " shuts up" because of the "would you shut up before you get us into more trouble "[i]look that Sarah gives him- he almost looks sheepish :lol:
Prentis Hancock was perfect for this part, but i still have an urge to give him a prune juice and vodka whenever i watch it. I love, love Frederick Jaeger whenever i see him on screen.
I've always wondered about the fact that the Doctor does not wear his scarf through most of this story and why ? Did it suffer some sort of mishap off screen ? He dosen't seem his same jovial self without it.
I really liked "planet of Evil ", a classic Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - great fun .
[/i]
[/b]lthough Louis Marks third script for Doctor Who has seldom been regarded as a classic amongst fans, Planet of Evil is one of my all time favourite Tom Baker stories.

Admittedly the plot itself may appear to be pretty run of the mill, but the story more than makes up for any deficiencies in the narrative with it's tense, foreboding atmosphere; it's just good, unpretentious storytelling, with Roger Murray-Leach's gorgeous alien jungle, and Dudley Simpson's eerie music lending the production a delightfully sinister ambience. A criticism often levelled at this story is it's realisation of the anti-matter creature, though I personally feel the effect achieved was far better and more in tune with the subject matter than yet another "man in a rubber suit".

Unfortunately the second half of the story doesn't fare quite so well, with the Probe Ship's stark white interior diminishing much of the stories earlier atmosphere, I think this was another of those times when the lights should have been turned down, nevertheless some nice performances from Prentis Hancock, Ewen Solon and Frederick Jaeger make Planet of Evil for me one of the high points of the Hinchcliffe era.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Apparently the reason Tom is sans scarf for part of the story is to do with the scene where the Doctor falls into the dark pool anti-matter universe.

I've heard it said that it would have been difficult to shoot the scarf 'floating about' in the void. I suspect that if this is true, then the scarf would have remained off for the remainder of the story for continuity reasons.
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 5th, 2009, 3:14 pm

AHH that makes sense.In my head I kept imagining Sarah complaining " it's smelly, dirty and has jungle juice all over it-please wash that thing ! " :lol:
John wrote:Apparently the reason Tom is sans scarf for part of the story is to do with the scene where the Doctor falls into the dark pool anti-matter universe.

I've heard it said that it would have been difficult to shoot the scarf 'floating about' in the void. I suspect that if this is true, then the scarf would have remained off for the remainder of the story for continuity reasons.

merlinsseer

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 3:21 pm

lol "Doctor, it's high time you washed that scarf of yours, it's beginning to smell worse than Doctor Sorenson! Even the oculoid trackers one eye is watering!" :shock:
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 5th, 2009, 3:35 pm

POOR SCARF-i wonder how many jelly babies got lost in its folds.
John wrote:lol "Doctor, it's high time you washed that scarf of yours, it's beginning to smell worse than Doctor Sorenson! Even the oculoid trackers one eye is watering!" :shock:
merlinsseer

Postby pattie anne on November 6th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Never noticed the lack of scarf. Must go watch it again! Well, one reason is just as good an excuse as another. :geek:
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Captain Rum on November 6th, 2009, 6:15 pm

A great story, acted brilliantly, great special effects and some of the best studio scenery and sets ever seen, I watch it often, one of my faves.

As for the scarf, better not talk about it too much or you'll be accused of "stretching it too far" ;) :lol:
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby tracy on November 6th, 2009, 6:39 pm

merlinsseer wrote:POOR SCARF-i wonder how many jelly babies got lost in its folds.
John wrote:lol "Doctor, it's high time you washed that scarf of yours, it's beginning to smell worse than Doctor Sorenson! Even the oculoid trackers one eye is watering!" :shock:

that scarf was usefull in many things .i want one
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on November 6th, 2009, 7:00 pm

I've never had an urge to own one myself.For one i can't stand things wrapped around my neck and i would be deadly with it, harming myself and others in my attempts to walk around with it on. How Mr, Baker managed 7 years of wearing that is a wonder. I did have a friend that was going to give me one once,. He was a Pertwee fan and his ex-girlfriend for some reason made him a Baker scarf, but alas , some jerk stole it from his hotel room while we were off getting smashed with jimmy doohan.
toms no 1 fan wrote:
merlinsseer wrote:POOR SCARF-i wonder how many jelly babies got lost in its folds.

that scarf was usefull in many things .i want one
merlinsseer

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years