A question of Marks ?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

A question of Marks ?

Postby Doctor John Smith on July 14th, 2010, 2:12 pm

As some of you may know, I have a particular fondness for Season 18, and Tom's costume from that. However, upon rewatching it recently, I noticed that there appears to be a variation in the "?" motif on Tom's shirt. It's just very slight, and most noticable on "The Leisure Hive", but he appears to have one shirt where the "?" appears to be vertical and of a less ornate design, and the other - which is the most used - has them at an angle, and are a little more stylised.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed similar, or whether I need to get my specs changed!!!! :geek:
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Re: A question of Marks ?

Postby Toothy Grin on July 14th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Never noticed that before I have to say. Personally I think the question marks idea was dreadful and should never have been used.
Toothy Grin

Postby Doctor John Smith on July 14th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Hi Toothy Grin

A sentiment shared by many I suspect. However I think they suited Tom's character because of their quirkiness. I personally think it was a mistake to carry them on after him, particularly on a regular shirt like they did on Peter and Colin - and as for Sylv's jumper don't even go there!

Peace!

DJS :D
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Postby haglered on July 24th, 2010, 5:20 am

Oh, I disagree about the question mark motif.

It fit "The Doctor" very well. You never knew who he was and his very identity/name was a question mark.

It should be a subtle motif though as it was when Mr. Baker was playing the Dr.. Later versions made it way too guache.

I think Tom's version of the Dr. did the question mark trademark just right.

"What's your name?"

"I'm the Doctor."

"The Doctor?"

Notice the question mark at the end.

Each time he introduced himself the Dr. got various responses but it all spoken or not went the same way.

"The Doctor?"

No one really knew who he was.

(they've gone and spoiled that now with River Song. But she's not telling)

I sometimes wonder if the original creators of the show intended for it his name to never be know or if it just kinda kept going and going... (Kinda like the energizer bunny)
haglered

Postby Who dat? on July 26th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Doctor John Smith wrote:I sometimes wonder if the original creators of the show intended for it his name to never be know or if it just kinda kept going and going... (Kinda like the energizer bunny)

His real name is known and is actually shown in print if memory serves me (on a business card). It's been mentioned here in at least one topic a while back. The question marks always seemed a bit funky to me. Tom wore some strange looking lapel pins too. I have not been able to identify them but I'd sure like to see a some closeups of them.
Where can I get them to start a collection? Do the originals still exist? Somewhere in a dark corner of a warehouse at the Beeb.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby hackenbush on July 30th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Referring back to one of the previous posts (sorry - don't know about the lapel badges...), I can just about stomach the question marks in season 18 as they are largely kept in the background. From Davison onwards, though, they are unbearable - even the fifth Doctor's braces in Planet of Fire are unpalatable and I've never quite got over the McCoy tank top. I think the Mark Gatiss Dr Who night sketch from 1999 put it all rather well... There's lots I like about 80s Who, but the question marks were just too arch and self-reverential.
hackenbush

Postby metalheadjay on February 24th, 2011, 11:52 pm

The question marks were ridiculous and totally unnecessary. I know that Tom was none too pleased with it. It was John Nathan-Turner's idea most likely.
metalheadjay

Postby Marcello Cristiano on February 25th, 2011, 2:09 am

The only question mark emblazened thing I liked was the question mark handled umbrella that Sylvester McCoy used. It was as McCoy often says "subtle", unlike that God forsaken question mark jumper. Even Sylv hated the jumper. The umbrella on the other hand was very unique looking and tasteful. I loved it! :)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Nebula on March 14th, 2011, 11:13 am

I can understand some peoples' remarks about the "question marks". However, I do find them quite interesting - remarks and question marks :D

It has never been a distracting element for me, even McCoy's jumper fails to bring on a headache. Everybody has their own taste, I suppose. I do hate to think where JNT would have taken it if the series had continued though - his Eighth Doctor most likely would have upped the ante by painting question marks on the TARDIS exterior (perhaps? :lol:)

Still, would it be so wrong if a future Doctor wore a tiny question mark badge on his jacket? *ducks from rotting veg throwing* Sorry! ;)

Al x
"It is the end... but the moment has been prepared for."
Nebula

Postby bcm77 on March 14th, 2011, 8:08 pm

I imagine it was an early attempt at creating another brand image they could trademark for merchandising purposes but despite the persistence of JNT it never caught on the way he probably intended.

From what I've seen of 80's Who though there were worse things to complain about than the question marks 8-)
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years