Re: Welcome to the Tom Baker Years

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Postby Forum Moderator on October 30th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Tom played Dr Who from 1974 – 1981. In this section you are invited to focus on Dr Who during this period. This is not the place for discussion about the current series of Dr Who – there are numerous forums on other sites where you can do this. Please concentrate on the stories Tom was in.

From time to time, Tom may post messages in this forum himself, but he regrets he cannot answer personal messages and emails individually.

:!: URL Links are switched OFF. Please don't post any links to external sites - even in plain text form. Report any to the Moderator.
Thank you
Forum Moderator

Postby tracy on October 30th, 2009, 5:47 pm

what can i say ive loved every story tom has done cant fault any think the guy is a legend
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby pattie anne on October 30th, 2009, 9:51 pm

TOM BAKER was in Doctor Who? :shock:
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Captain Rum on October 30th, 2009, 10:47 pm

I loved all the stories too that Tom was in but "The Deadly Assassin" was certainly a high, so was "Keeper Of Traken" and all of the "Key To Time" boxset, "Logopolis" is my favourite and showed that although it was his final story he treated it as he did all the others....by putting in a fantastic performance and playing it as if he was/is The Doctor (which of course he is!!) it was a great seven years.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby pattie anne on October 31st, 2009, 1:28 am

Here is a BAKER'S DOZEN of my FAVouritE TOM/doc stories (in descending order): Deadly Assassin, Invasion of Time, Pyramid of Mars, Terror of the Zygons, Horror of Fang Rock, Ark In Space, Robots of Death, Underworld, Keeper of Tralken, Android Invasion, Face of Evil, Robot, and Logopplis.
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby merlinsseer on October 31st, 2009, 12:12 pm

I can't pick one that I liked best, of the episodes i have seen ( that's right, i have not seen them all- i was a deprived child ) there was always some little extra special line or scene ( or expression) in each one that made it memorable. "Chop Suey the Galactic Emperor" still cracks me up every time i hear it.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby bcm77 on October 31st, 2009, 12:54 pm

My story,

Aside from a few misty childhood memories of Tom's final year ( I distinctly rememberthe colour of his coat ) I never watched the show growing up as I was always more of a Star Wars fan but when the show returned to our screens in 2005 I gave it a try and enjoyed the first 2 series enough to give the Classic era a try and in mid 2006 bought my first DVD, the 1975 masterpiece "Genesis of the Daleks".

By the 2nd part my opinion of what makes good Doctor Who had changed forever and since that time I have gone on to buy all of Tom's stories that are so far available on DVD as well as Jon Pertwee's and Patrick Troughton's plus a few from William Hartnell and Peter Davison and my intrest in the revived series has ended because I now feel it is a very dumbed down version of the show that seems to spend more time focusing on flashy effects rather than the character development and storylines.

My top 10 stories are,

1."Genesis of the Daleks"
2."The Talons of Weng-Chiang"
3."The Deadly Assassin"
4."The Brain of Morbius"
5."The Hand of Fear"
6."City of Death"
7."Warriors Gate"
8."Horror of Fang Rock"
9."The Ark in Space"
10."Planet of Evil"

There's still a few of Tom's stories I haven't seen but as soon as they get a region 2 DVD release I'll buy them!
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tracy on October 31st, 2009, 3:37 pm

merlinsseer wrote:I can't pick one that I liked best, of the episodes i have seen ( that's right, i have not seen them all- i was a deprived child ) there was always some little extra special line or scene ( or expression) in each one that made it memorable. "Chop Suey the Galactic Emperor" still cracks me up every time i hear it.

sorry to hear of how things were for you hope your ok now

****************************************************************************************

:D bcm 77 try ebay also hmv and the shop in the strand will have most of what you are looking for hope this has been some help to you
Last edited by tracy on November 1st, 2009, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on October 31st, 2009, 8:16 pm

toms no 1 fan wrote:sorry to hear of how things were for you hope your ok now

Oh, thanks , but don't be sorry for me- tough as nails i am-lol
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby bcm77 on October 31st, 2009, 8:37 pm

toms no 1 fan wrote::D bcm 77 try ebay also hmv and the shop in the strand will have most of what you are looking for hope this has been some help to you

I was more referring to stories that haven't yet been released on DVD such as "Terror of the Zygons", "Revenge of the Cybermen", "Meglos", "The Sun Makers" and a few others but thanks anyway.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years