What is Your First Memory Of TOM?

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: What is Your First Memory Of TOM?

Postby Gold Usher on January 9th, 2010, 2:19 am

Ok...mine pre-dates the other replies here...but here it goes.

Back in high school, we had a rare field trip out of the school and got to see 'Nicholas & Alexandra' at the Fine Arts theater in downtown Portland ME. I was totally bowled over with the sets and costumes but the makeup was extraordinary. You see I had already read alot about the Czar and his family - the resemblances were uncanny.
So when Rasputin came on scene...I was extremely pleased with the actor's appearance. And then he spoke....

I made sure I noted who that was who did Rasputin but afterwards for a few years...forgot the name but not the voice. Then one night at a drive-in (for those youngers here..a large acreage with a huge movie screen and many rows with speakers on posts to be hung inside on the car windows) we were watching a Sinbad movie. That voice..kept nagging at me all night and I knew I had seen the face before but where? Again..who is that?? Tom Baker....Baker Baker Baker...I know it but can't put my finger on it. Again another year or two and slips the mind.

Then got married and fishing around on UHF as nothing was on the Big Three. Tuned in a snowy WGBH in Boston but it cleared up enough to see a man with a hat and scarf in some rocks, cut aways back to a leather clad Mr Potato-head??? Ok..looked odd enough to sit and look at it for a few minutes. Then it ended with a cliffhanger. I managed to find it in the TV Guide to see what it was and came back the next evening. There's that voice..those eyes again...that face!! Sure enough Tom Baker again in the Sontaran Experiment.

Ok ...third time's the charm! So after a while WGBH gave way to New Hampshire Public and then finally WCBB in Maine picked it up so was able to dispense with the snow and wavy signals --we got an antennae and a rotor eventually. My husband I think indulged me a bit as we sat there each night at 7 pm but we had fun as I watched Tom's Doctor.

Now I've had the chance to put Tom's face to St. Matthew in a stained glass window I built two years ago for a church -- as Prince Koura..complete with turban and fancy robes.

If my boss ever found out :lol:
Gold Usher

Postby pattie anne on January 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Oh, gosh, what an an incredible anecdote, at the end of your narration! Thank you for sharing, Gold Usher. Our Mister TOM will be rolling in the aisle when HE reads this one. :mrgreen:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Gold Usher on January 26th, 2010, 5:56 am

Ok...with a nudge from Merlinsseer, I'm going to post two photos of St Matthew.

This one has the four heads being stippled with glass stainer's paint prior to firing them. Tom's is on the left side...(John -my stepson Mark - isn't stippled yet to show the difference on the right end)

Here's the top portion of the window with the full figure.
Gold Usher

Postby Moderator on January 26th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Great stuff Gold Usher. Absolutely splendid. Ta, for sharing.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby Tanlee on April 26th, 2010, 1:52 am

I was 11 in 1993 when they repeated Genesis of the Daleks.

I'd seen pictures of Daleks in the TV Times, but assumed that they were from some kind of post-modern art sculpture program. Then I found out they were the villains in Doctor Who (oddly enough I found this out when our school went to see a writer of children's poetry who read out to us a funny Doctor Who/Neighbours crossover called Daleks in Ramsay Street in which the cast of characters in Neighbours all get exterminated).

I tuned in to the fifth episode, and was instantly hooked. It was thrilling stuff and I was really compelled by how the Doctor's attempts to stop Davros kept getting thwarted. Then after that cliffhanger I just knew I had to tune into episode 6. The Doctor and sarah;s discussion of what the future might hold really did build whole worlds and cultures in my mind. Then when the Doctor ultimately failed and most of the other heroes died, I was hooked still further. At that point I became a fan of this wondrously dangerous universe and its noble but fallible hero (fallible but not in the contrived, defeatist, desperate to be downbeat way that Davison's Doctor was).

It's still my favourite story.
Tanlee

Postby tracy on April 26th, 2010, 8:10 am

:D good morning tanlee welcome to toms dinner table .enjoy your time here
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Tanlee on April 26th, 2010, 9:24 pm

tracy wrote::D good morning tanlee welcome to toms dinner table .enjoy your time here

thank you :)
Tanlee

Postby mikotyk on May 26th, 2010, 11:24 pm

I think my first memory of Tom was as Koura the sorcerer in a Sinbad film.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby mcalldp on June 15th, 2010, 8:12 pm

I was about 6 and my mother was a single mom going to college. I had to entertain myself a lot. I wasn't allowed much TV but she approved of PBS....this is when televisions had a big dial and a letter "U" was included in the dial numbers ;-) Anyway, I found Dr. Who and was instantly hooked. I would use my allowed TV time to watch the Dr. in the afternoons and a few decades later I still enjoy watching not only the new series but all the recordings of Tom playing the Dr. It was a wonderful influence on a young imagination and it still influences items in my life like my music (when I have time away from work). Come to think of it, I'll have to head home and throw on an episode this evening...Just watched Sun Makers last week.

Dr who, to me, was always about the possibility within each of us...to be a hero- even if in a small way. Thanks Tom!
~sHiNe oN~
mcalldp

Postby dustybird on June 19th, 2010, 6:33 am

My first encounter with Doctor Who was Tom Bakers first episode Robot. This was in 1976 and I think PBS was showing it in Houston for the first time. Oh, how different this new show was and so very funny. Somethimes I would ditch school to watch it because I got out of school at 300p and the show started at the same time and it ran for only a half hour. Somedays I would run home as fast as I could to watch only 7 minutes of the show and those 7 mins were heaven. I think what made the show for me was how the Doctor was written and watching Mr. Bakers total enjoyment what he was doing. Doctor Who did not talk down to its audience, it had fun with us.

For some reason Tom Bakers Doctor Who just stayed with me as I grew up. When I watch the episodes today I time warp and enjoy being that kid again. dustybird

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. ...
dustybird

PreviousNext

Return to The man himself