Actors and writers

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in June to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.
Tom will answer a maximum of 30 questions per month.

Actors and writers

Postby Huey Long on June 3rd, 2010, 4:08 pm

Dear Tom,

You've discussed your relationship with directors elsewhere on this forum, but I have a question about working with writers. I'd like to know more about what it was like to work with Robert Holmes, how much interaction actors had with writers at the time, and how much control the writers attempted to exert over the finished product. Do you have any anecdotes of what Holmes was like as a colleague?

Sadly, I missed your visit to Glasgow by a week but hope you enjoyed your time in Scotland.

All best,
HL
Huey Long

Re: Actors and writers

Postby Tom Baker on June 14th, 2010, 10:46 am

Dear HL

Interesting question. Robert Holmes was a perfect professional writer, an ex-copper and marvellous cynic. He was not impressed by anything. BUT, he and I got on famously. He used to pull on his pipe and smile and giggle at my pretended contempt for hacks.

I think it must be a hard life for a writer to try and please actors. They are also often told where to take the storyline and they know that many actors think they can do a better job.

Sincerely

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for June 2010