Re: Welcome to the Tom Baker Years

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Postby Gordon on April 14th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Tom was my Doctor as well. I don't know whether children remember things better (as I was in 1974), but I seem to have a much better memory of plots, one-liners etc from Tom's time than I have of the subsequent Doctors - perhaps a psychiatrist can answer that.

Much as Russell T and others have done just the best job bringing the series back, nothing will ever really surpass the dark, scary atmosphere created in the Hinchcliffe years. I think that the theme/incidental music had a lot to do with that. Even watching the old shows now, the music itself and the dark, gothic look portrayed puts a shiver up the spine. Can we ever forget Horror of Fang Rock, Talons of Weng Chiang, Pyramids of Mars.....the list goes on

Gordon
Gordon

Postby Ianjk78 on April 17th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Hi, I'm a big Tom Baker fan as well. This is my first post.

Ian.
Ianjk78

Postby tracy on April 18th, 2010, 8:59 am

:D hi ian welcome to toms dinner table sit back and enjoy
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby torridon0608 on June 13th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Tom Baker was my favourite absoloutely bar none. I was quite young when he played Dr. Who and I have been really interested in Science fiction from an early age. He had presence, that kind of sums it up, intelligent acting and presence. I don't think presence can be learned or copied, he just had it.
I wish the BBC would show some of the earlier Dr. Who's so that the younger generation could see him. My 3 year old son and 2 year old daughter love Dr. Who but have not seen Tom's episodes.
Think I saw Tom today in Waitrose in Tenterden (hence looking him up today) but I was sleep deprived so could be wrong, I hope not.
Andrea
torridon0608

Postby mikotyk on June 13th, 2010, 10:01 pm

I think it's amazing on just how many people Tom has touched through just this one role and not just in the UK but throughout the world. When I was a young boy, I couldn't wait for 6:00pm to catch Dr. Who, Monday through Friday, on PBS. Every year when PBS ran it's annual marathon to collection donations to keep the station running, I always prayed that Dr. Who would be picked up by PBS again (and, luckily, it was). Tom was my first exposure to Doctor Who and he is, without doubt, my favorite Time Lord. I grew up in what they called a "broken family". I never saw my father and I wasn't always close to my stepfather. Tom's Doctor became surrogate father and hero to me all rolled up in one.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby italykikka on August 6th, 2010, 6:04 pm

hello. I was loved ol tom's work in doctor trasmissed in Italy. the other product I see only now but loved too (scuse for my bad english)
italykikka

Postby Jack_Bauer on March 4th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Hello fellow Dr. WHO fans!!!! I grew up watching Tom on PBS in North Carolina when I was very young and that has stayed with me my entire life. I have been able to collect all of the episodes he played in and just love watching them with my dad. There is with out a doubt no better actor then Tom, his hummer is priceless. I have to say out of all the people in the world I would most love to meet him.
Jack_Bauer

Postby tracy on March 5th, 2011, 10:54 am

:D hi jack welcome to toms dinner table enjoy your stay here as we all do nice to meet you have a great time
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Prydonian on March 11th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Welcome Jack! Enjoy your time here with us and also know I was also raised on Tom's Doctor growing up in NC via the local PBS station. At times, I miss that old station. I occasionally go back to watch british sitcomes on occasional weekends. :lol:
Prydonian

Postby donnarose on March 12th, 2011, 2:38 am

Welcome, Jack! I had wondered where you would turn up after "24" went off the air. ;)
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years