The Scarf

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

The Scarf

Postby mikotyk on June 3rd, 2010, 3:29 am

I'm just kind of curious ... how many of us here have a replica of the multi-colored scarf Tom wore on Doctor Who?

I've had 2 in my life. One when I was a teenager (which I regrettably lost) and a new, handmade, one my wife bought for me through E-Bay a few years ago. I have to say I love that scarf (all 20 feet of it). It is one of my prize possessions and it always brings back very fond memories of watching Doctor Who on PBS in the late 70s and early 80s.

I'm off to bed but I look forward to your replies.

regards,
Mike Kotyk
Pennsylvania, USA
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Re: The Scarf

Postby gobs o'cats on June 3rd, 2010, 1:55 pm

I have the yarn and instructions, but alas, I can't knit! I suppose hope springs eternal that somewhere during some night, a band of generous fairies will knit it up for me so I can give it to my friend, Merlin. LOL So far, no fairies and no scarf. I might have to send one of the cats out on a knitting fairy hunt....
gobs o'cats

Postby pattie anne on June 3rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

dear mikotyk -

i have made three of them.

the first one i made was back when they were showing TOM's Dr Who episodes on my local PBS station. i didn't have any instructions, so i took a picture of HIM wearing it off of the television with my polaroid camera and modeled it from that photo. sadly, both the colors of the threads, and the lines count weren't very accurate. but it did serve well enough for a few cons and other such events. But eventually it did get unraveled (which was fun) and put in a washing machine lingerie bag which made a very colorful pillow (until some mice decided to eat it).

the second one i made was from the BBC official instructions list. it was part of my halloween costume, for many years. i sent it to TOM one christmas several years ago when i found out that HE didn't have one.

the third one i made was in all shades of blue (with the BBC pattern halved)and i still have it.

great Topic miko!

pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby madgoth on June 4th, 2010, 4:36 am

I have a burgundy scarf, lovely, long, and hot as Hades! I am unable to wear it due to getting overheated :o
madgoth

Postby tch on June 7th, 2010, 11:41 pm

I've had two.
One, my grandmother knitted for me when I was in high school.
The other, my current, my lovely wife went on-line and found the actual pattern for and made for as a christmas present.

Must say, that all shades of blue one is pretty snazzy.
tch

Postby pattie anne on June 8th, 2010, 12:45 am

ta. saw another one, somewhere out on the Net, made with black, white and shades of grey. it was pretty distinctive. an all shades of green would be pretty too i bet.
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby donnarose on June 8th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Those are all pretty wonderful scarves!

Patti, you could have a side business there! Sell them at conventions or on ebay! ;)
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby pattie anne on June 12th, 2010, 5:38 pm

oh, no, no, no, no, MY BBC official instructions say:

"WARNING: Scarves are to be worn NOT sold!"

and to see just how many folks hold to THAT particular 'rule' ... try SEARCHING The Web ... :lol: :D :) :P

love,
pattie anne :geek:
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Gold Usher on June 14th, 2010, 4:43 am

Last time I saw one on eBay, it was being sold for a church charity drive to raise money to repair the organ.
That I believe would be acceptable to Auntie Beeb since no one had made a profit on it.

Madgoth, you're right...your scarf was very warm that day Jillx and I had a bit of fun with it. But it is very very handsome and you should go to New England in the winter to really enjoy it!
Now I need to find that photo Doctor Partner took of it looped around the two of us.

ahhh here it is.

Gold Usher

Postby pattie anne on June 29th, 2010, 11:24 pm

what a fun Topic! :D

HOPE some others come along to add to the frivolity. :)

tho' looking at a parade of long scarves in the middle of what appears to be a very LONG HOT summer is 'sort o' odd, don't you think? :lol:
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Next

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions