Baker - Hinchcliffe - Holmes era

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Baker - Hinchcliffe - Holmes era

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 3:02 pm

You're right merlinseer, The Brain of Morbius undoubtedly beats Deadly Assassin as the most graphically violent story of the Hinchcliffe era, in fact the scene where Solon repeatedly shoots Condo is remarkable, in that it's one of the few examples in Doctor Who's history where you actually see blood.

It's interesting to note that every story where you do see bloodshed has involved Robert Holmes in some way! The bloodied jeep windscreen in Spearhead from Space, the shooting of Condo, and the large blood spurt when a Swampie throws a spear into Thawn's stomach at the conclusion of Power of Kroll.
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 5th, 2009, 4:11 pm

" Seeds of Doom " was a whole different sort of violent- we meet " angry " Doctor ! He is very manic in this one, even when he popping off a joke the humour never reaches the eyes. The scene where Scorby drags Sarah off to be blown up in the power station ( why was it a better idea to blow her up there instead of where she was to begin with ? ) we get a burst of violent anger out of the Doctor that tops even the one from the" Sontaran " story-he scared the %$#@*&^%# out of me the first time i saw it ! It still freaks me out a little when i see it now ! He really needed some milk , cookies and a nice long nap before he started this adventure.
Harrison Chase, hands down one of the creepiest characters to slither across my television screen, he made my skin crawl.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Quite uncharacteristically, the Doctor gets very 'physical' in Seeds of Doom.

In one scene he jumps from a tower onto Chase's chauffeurs head and punches him in the face, and a little bit later on -- in a scene reminiscent to a Bond movie -- he jumps through a skylight, punches Scorby out, and then smashes a chair over his head! :shock:

Bravo!! :lol:
John

Postby tracy on November 5th, 2009, 5:29 pm

John wrote:Quite uncharacteristically, the Doctor gets very 'physical' in Seeds of Doom.

In one scene he jumps from a tower onto Chase's chauffeurs head and punches him in the face, and a little bit later on -- in a scene reminiscent to a Bond movie -- he jumps through a skylight, punches Scorby out, and then smashes a chair over his head! :shock:

yeah that was agood punch
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on November 5th, 2009, 6:25 pm

i sort of like angry Doctor- but i noticed that he snatches Scorby's gun up and waves it around with his left hand. I wonder if Mr. Baker did that on purpose to show the Doctor's discomfort with guns ?
toms no 1 fan wrote:
John wrote:Quite uncharacteristically, the Doctor gets very 'physical' in Seeds of Doom.

yeah that was agood punch
merlinsseer

Postby Captain Rum on November 5th, 2009, 11:36 pm

John wrote:Of course it was the infamous 'drowning' scene at the end of episode three of Deadly Assassin that was most likely the catalyst for Hinchcliffe's reassignment, though personally, I don't feel that the levels of violence in Tom's era were that high, certainly not when compared to that of Colin Baker's.

Let's be realistic, kid's aren't as daft as people like Mary Whitehouse like to make out. Yes, some of the stories could potentialy be quite frightening for a certain age group, if that's the case, then it's down to the parents to decide whether their children will be allowed to continue watching - don't ruin the show for the older children by over sanitising what I believe to be perfectly acceptable themes.

Anyway, as it turned out Whitehouse failed in her crusade, you've only got to see stories like Horror of Fang Rock and Talons of Weng Chiang to see that!

I think it's a given that if you try to ban something all it does is encourage even more people to watch it than if it wasn't even mentioned....I bet it added to the Dr Who audience!! Yes, if any adult is going to tell their kids about morals and values and what they can't and can't do or watch then it's their parents that fulfill that role, not someone who had a Gallifreyian bee in her bonnet.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby merlinsseer on November 5th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Gallifreyian bee in her bonnet :lol: that's too rich. You know she sat around and watched the show thinking" damn you sexy Timelord-why must you do this to me !!!"
Captain Rum wrote:
John wrote:Of course it was the infamous 'drowning' scene at the end of episode three of Deadly Assassin that was most likely the catalyst for Hinchcliffe's reassignment, though personally, I don't feel that the levels of violence in Tom's era were that high, certainly not when compared to that of Colin Baker's.

Let's be realistic, kid's aren't as daft as people like Mary Whitehouse like to make out. Yes, some of the stories could potentialy be quite frightening for a certain age group, if that's the case, then it's down to the parents to decide whether their children will be allowed to continue watching - don't ruin the show for the older children by over sanitising what I believe to be perfectly acceptable themes.

Anyway, as it turned out Whitehouse failed in her crusade, you've only got to see stories like Horror of Fang Rock and Talons of Weng Chiang to see that!

I think it's a given that if you try to ban something all it does is encourage even more people to watch it than if it wasn't even mentioned....I bet it added to the Dr Who audience!! Yes, if any adult is going to tell their kids about morals and values and what they can't and can't do or watch then it's their parents that fulfill that role, not someone who had a Gallifreyian bee in her bonnet.
merlinsseer

Postby Captain Rum on November 6th, 2009, 12:04 am

Maybe Tom, Philip and Robert could've made a show just about her :D There's plenty on TV I can't stand but instead of moaning about it I just turn the channel over or go out or read a book or watch the dvd, life's too short to go on supposed moral crusades trying to tell others how to live their lives.

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Captain Rum

Postby John on November 6th, 2009, 12:07 am

Whenever I watch that scene in Deadly Assassin, I like to visualise Philip Hinchcliffe holding Mary Whitehouses head under the water, whilst being watched by hundreds of cheering kids!

"You're finished, Mary! You're finished!"
John

Postby Captain Rum on November 6th, 2009, 12:10 am

John wrote:Whenever I watch that scene in Deadly Assassin, I like to visualise Philip Hinchcliffe holding Mary Whitehouses head under the water, whilst being watched by hundreds of cheering kids!

"You're finished, Mary! You're finished!"

Nah, can't see that at all ;)

Captain Rum

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years