Monk Grigori Rasputin in the 1971 movie Nicholas And Alexa

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Monk Grigori Rasputin in the 1971 movie Nicholas And Alexa

Postby tracy on November 9th, 2009, 6:38 pm

:D i have loads of pets when i was growing up at the moment we have my sisters dog . our dog died last year.i love animals and hate it when you hear people being cruel to them it makes my blood boil when i hear how some animals have been left to suffer
tracy with out the E
tracy

Re: Monk Grigori Rasputin in Nicholas And Alexandra

Postby bkohatl on April 19th, 2010, 11:24 am

Few actors have ever conveyed the sense of what a person was like as well as Tom did in Nicholas and Alexandra. His smooth, slippery voice with a comforting timber and cadence could lull anyone. But, always, always that same timber conveyed an ominous premonition of danger.
Lawrence Olivier recommended Tom for the role and that is proof both of his judgement and Tom's Talent.
bkohatl

Postby Jillx on May 5th, 2010, 2:52 am

I loved this movie, saw it first when it was released, I had no idea until then of the sad history of the Russian Royal Family and their executions by the revolutionaries. My Father in Law told me how he remembered the time when it happened. I learned much history that day.
Jillx

Postby donnarose on May 15th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Rented Nicholas and Alexandra from Netflix and will be able to view it this weekend! :D

It's been a while since I've seen this but am very much looking forward to viewing it again! I might even be able to convince my daughter to watch it b/c Mr. Baker is in it!

And I can even count the film as part of my homeschooling in "World History." :D

The funny thing is that my daughter has a pet Netherland Dwarf rabbit that she named "Grigori." However, it was not named after Rasputin but after a fictional character she once encountered in a story. I can't recall the title, but the Grigori she read about was a "gentle giant." So she thought since she got a dwarf rabbit, it would be funny to name him after a giant.

Ok, so that went off topic. . . . ;)

Excellent depiction of Rasputin!

Now I have to go and refresh myself on that period in history again though. :)

I loved studying about the Bolshevik Revolution in school (once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away)! ;)
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby diddymuck on May 21st, 2010, 6:12 am

TB's Rasputin had the most gravitas of all characters with Harry Andrews' Duke Nicholas coming in second. The Czar was very well underplayed, Alexandria was pouter, while Lenin vassilated between isolated leader and Snydley Whiplash villainy.

Tom is the only actor one can see playing the monk! Captivating with his turn of phrase yet possessing an eerie look that tell the audience there's a dangerous ulterior motive soon to be made clear.

TB was robbed of the best supporting actor oscar for his numbing performance.
diddymuck

Postby donnarose on May 21st, 2010, 10:53 am

Welcome, Diddymuck! It looks like you are a new member! I'm fairly new to the group myself.

That is a really wonderful review! Your descriptions are very vivid and spot on! Are you a writer by trade?

Again, welcome!
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby tracy on May 21st, 2010, 2:03 pm

:D welcome to toms dinner table diddymuck enjoy sit back and have a glass of wine and if you dont like wine then enjoy what ever you drink
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on May 17th, 2011, 2:54 am

The past couple of days I saw two movies about Rasputin. One from 1932 where Lionel Barrymore portrayed Rasputin and the other one had Christopher Lee in it.

Today, I started watching Nickolas and Alexandra from 1971 with Tom Baker as Rasputin. I haven't seen Rasputin all that much yet. But what I had seen is good.

MCH
MCH

Postby metalheadjay on May 18th, 2011, 4:06 pm

As I recall, that is the only role in Tom's career where he was nominated for an award. The Golden Globe's I think. He deserved to win too. I also think he was on Johnny Carson at the time to promote that film as well. The role was probably his most successful up 'til "Doctor Who". However, I also really enjoy his roles in the films right before he became the Doctor. "Vault Of Horror", "Golden Voyage Of Sinbad", and "The Freakmaker".

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby MCH on May 19th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I finished watching Nicholas and Alexandra. Tom did a great Rasputin.
MCH
MCH

PreviousNext

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles