Has he ever stated why he quit appearing in the US?

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Has he ever stated why he quit appearing in the US?

Postby pattie anne on May 18th, 2010, 3:02 pm

dear tracy -

whoa nellie! :shock: back up the truck! :o

what i am suggesting, RE the life-sized park statues, especially, would entail a lot of money (which i do not have - but would be 'moore' than willing to solicit from those WHO do) a lot of time (which i would have WHEN i do retire) a lot of footwork (just bought new trainers) AND most important of all ... PERMISSION from TOM's estate to pursue such an under-taking. and once, securing that right, we would start with just ONE statue at ONE park or playground, and HOPE it would catch on from there. one would also have to contact the folks WHO actually MANUFACTURE those kinds of objects, be it of metal, concrete, or other such composite material, and set up a contract with them. so this is why i said, this would be ONE of the reasons i would have to physically move to england. WHO else could be able to orchestrate all of this, including the other two "projects" i mentioned in my previous Post, except an on-site, retired fan, with 'moore' TIME than "cents" :?:

still, i do not know anything about the two statues you mentioned, of eric and ernie, where they reside, or WHO was responsible for them being where they are today. so maybe, because you do live in england in the present, you know 'moore' about these sort of "lawn ornaments projects" than i.

this, (including the other two) is just a personal dream of mine, that being to one day wander around "merrie olde england," and see children of all ages hanging from, and sitting in the lap of the frozen in TIME TOMs in parks and playgrounds all over the country.

BIG SIGH

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby mikotyk on May 28th, 2010, 12:53 pm

donnarose wrote:Why most people think some actors are talented is beyond me--that's why I don't go to the movies --some of these "stars" just plain can't act.

Guess I'm used to watching too many old movies and such--when an actor took on a character, he/she became that character.

That is truly an art.

I absolutely have to agree with you about the diminished quality of actors in movies nowadays. I'd also have to add that the script writing, at least in Hollywood, has also gone down the tubes. There are some very talented actors out there but they seem to be dwarfed by the untalented ones. Nowadays, it's all style and flash over actual talent in either acting or writing ability. It's all about who you know.

I've always thought that Tom would have been a big star over here in America as Americans seem to have an infatuation with British actors (just look at Patrick Stewart and, lately, Daniel Craig and Sean Bean) but I feel that Hollywood lost out when it failed to notice Tom Baker.

As for fame and appreciation, I feel that Tom has already accomplished that (if he doesn't already know it). One doesn't need to have their names constantly in the tabloids to be appreciated. Tom has touched the hearts of so many, not only in the UK but overseas in Europe and America through the character of Doctor Who. Although I've seen others play the role (notably, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davidson & David Tennant) as far as I am concerned, when someone says Doctor Who I naturally think of Tom Baker. For myself, Tom is the Doctor.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby mcalldp on June 15th, 2010, 8:02 pm

diminished quality...maybe. I think the problem is that nothing is subtle or suggested anymore. The play of shadows in words, the light and darkness of movements has given way to very fast plots driven by straight forward dialog. None of this lends to adding depth to a character. The populace is too used to the short story with the quick punch-line etc.... seems even less room left for wit.

There are good shows and actors still but I would argue the above applies to the most of mainstream amusement today.

Me? I'll take an Audrey Hepburn over a Julia Roberts any day.

On topic, I do wish Tom still made it to the states, I've never really cared for the "celebrity" of it all and wanting to meet someone for that but Tom seems so down to earth and I surely owe him a proper hand-shake for creating such a good baby-sitter in the Dr. for many of my childhood afternoons.
~sHiNe oN~
mcalldp

Postby haglered on July 23rd, 2010, 4:27 am

I live in the U.S.

I had always hoped to see more of Tom Baker's acting after Dr. Who.

He has a rare charm that could lend itself to many roles.

I just read his biography as posted on this site. I'm sorry I will probably never get the chance him in the other roles he has played.

It would be nice to see him in the role of Dr. Who again but I don't see how that could be written in.

Besides the new series has moved beyond the kind of Dr Tom played.

Maybe they could have him playing another Character, perhaps another older time Lord that could advise the new Dr or perhaps in a more comedic role a daft old professor that helps the Dr but maybe is not so sure about the Dr. That could have some comedic connotations to it.

Oh, well, it'll probably never happen.

I enjoyed Tom's smile and his vagabond behaviour in the Dr. Who series. I think he could do som much more if he had a mind to.
haglered

Postby MCH on December 21st, 2010, 5:56 am

Traveling vast byways and flyways can be strenuous and tedious for a person, especially at 77. I can understand why he likes to stay close to home.
I would have liked to talk with him in person but my chances of doing so are pretty slim. I'll have to be content with reading information from this website and graciously being allowed to ask a question once in a while.
MCH

Previous

Return to The man himself