Has he ever stated why he quit appearing in the US?

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Has he ever stated why he quit appearing in the US?

Postby SakuradaKaoru on May 4th, 2010, 10:15 am

I'm not going to ask him that, it's probably too personal.

I just wonder if he's ever said why. He used to appear in the US.

It's probably for the best that he doesn't do that anymore, though. I (and a lot of other people, no doubt) would probably show up at his appearances in an odd assortment of clothing, a curly wig, and a 15-foot long scarf. :oops:
Only three questions I can think to ask Tom... and I can't ask one because it's Doctor Who related and the other two aren't about his private life but might still be personal.
SakuradaKaoru

Re: Has he ever stated why he quit appearing in the US?

Postby tracy on May 4th, 2010, 7:23 pm

hi any events that tom goes to he goes as himself lovley white hair stunning blue eyes and a gorgoues smile and he still looks great
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby SakuradaKaoru on May 4th, 2010, 7:37 pm

I meant that I would be the person in the Doctor getup. ^^;
Only three questions I can think to ask Tom... and I can't ask one because it's Doctor Who related and the other two aren't about his private life but might still be personal.
SakuradaKaoru

Postby Who dat? on May 4th, 2010, 7:58 pm

As I recall reading he doesn't mind the U.S. and us nutty fans it's just that he doesn't care for the hassles of long distance travel.
BTW, the fans in the UK have been known to dress up too.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on either count.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby pattie anne on May 4th, 2010, 9:37 pm

dear SakuradaKaoru -

according to the articles i have read, TOM said HE found it a very closed, tight community (NYC & Hollywood) that just wasn't interested in "an obscure English actor." (TOM quote.) but HE did give it the olde' college try. peasants! they never asked us fans what we thought about it. :evil:

best,
pattie anne
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby donnarose on May 7th, 2010, 5:36 pm

pattie anne wrote:dear SakuradaKaoru -

according to the articles i have read, TOM said HE found it a very closed, tight community (NYC & Hollywood) that just wasn't interested in "an obscure English actor." (TOM quote.) but HE did give it the olde' college try. peasants! they never asked us fans what we thought about it. :evil:

best,
pattie anne

I'm very sad, but unfortunately not surprised, to hear that Mr. Baker found those in the entertainment industry in the US so closed. That does break my heart. :( I apologize for those who treated him so poorly.

But, you know, fame does that to some--and what a lonely life it must be for those who get all caught up in the glamour and such. All one needs to do is see the tabloids in the stores or the television shows which seem to just focus on the gossip of these celebrities, and it's very sad the way they are not treated as individual human beings with feelings. One day they can be on top of the world, the next day, on the bottom of the rung.

And that's when they find out who their real friends and fans are.

I don't think Mr. Baker missed out on much not being with that crowd. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. But that's just my $0.02. ;)
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby pattie anne on May 7th, 2010, 10:35 pm

i agree. and yet ...

BIG SIGH

it sure would have been awfully nice for all of us to have HIM kicking round here in the good old u s of a for ten or fifteen years; while HE made buckets of money, and became a household word.

love,
pattie anne :geek:
Last edited by pattie anne on May 9th, 2010, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby donnarose on May 7th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Oh, patti anne, I agree with you that it would've been so nice to have Mr. Baker here in the states.

But why go somewhere where you aren't appreciated for the gifts you have? As far as I'm concerned, it's the US's loss.

Why most people think some actors are talented is beyond me--that's why I don't go to the movies --some of these "stars" just plain can't act.

Guess I'm used to watching too many old movies and such--when an actor took on a character, he/she became that character.

That is truly an art.

Today, imho, a lot of times if a big name star is in a movie--that's all he/she is--a big name star in a movie. There are some who can act, but I don't think it's as much as days gone by.

Guess we just have to retire across the pond someday. ;)
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby pattie anne on May 9th, 2010, 3:07 pm

yes, i have THREE main reasons for wishing to retire there:

one, to see, along with HIS other loyal fans, that HIS headstone is properly scrubbed and cleaned every HALLOWEEN.

anda ah

two, to see the parks and playgrounds in the UK are literally littered with life size statues of TOM.

anda ah

three, to assure that there is at LEAST the one: "TOM BAKER's March Madness In-gathering" of HIS devoted fans, that solely belongs to HIM (not a dr who event, not a scifi/fantasy hoe down, ETC. but a true TOM-CON) each year.

love,
pattie anne :geek:
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby tracy on May 9th, 2010, 4:14 pm

:D now that pattie i have to agree with you there a big statue of tom like they have got of eric morecame and ernie wise .now who do i write to to ask about a statue yes tom deserves one
tracy with out the E
tracy

Next

Return to The man himself