While wandering in the woods...do you?

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in May to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.
Tom will answer a maximum of 30 questions per month.

While wandering in the woods...do you?

Postby Gold Usher on May 4th, 2010, 2:31 am

While I was young, I used to range about the woods where I lived all seasons of the year.
When I had my first house, it was on a wooded lot that backed up to a near 6 square miles of woods..oh joy all year round! I used to see wild irises near Silver Brook, had a lovely area under pines in my back yard with lady slipper orchids and little white star shaped flowers in with the moss.

So Mr. Baker, in your current wanderings with Poppy, do you have a favorite patch or two in the woods where you like to enjoy the wild flowers and ground covers and look for them while out walking?
Gold Usher

Re: While wandering in the woods...do you?

Postby Tom Baker on May 5th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Oh, Goldie,

We all have dream places and dream spaces and mine also is a wildwood. I keep it as neat as possible and even stay away from the bluebell patches and the dying anemones. But oddly I don't mind treading on the mercuralis. The trees are mostly silver birches which are the first filters of the light. But I think hornbeam and beech are my favourites. There is a dark conifer wood which scares me. The silence is unnerving and the absence of birds or plants just spooks me. But the deer love the silence and the shade and watch me very carefully from a distance. Poppy chased a stag recently. It's just heaven here thanks to the organising genius of my dear wife, Sue. I would now be able to play Badger in Wind in the Willows.

Best wishes

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for May 2010