The Fourth Doctor on DVD

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The Fourth Doctor on DVD

Postby tracy on November 4th, 2009, 3:54 pm

toms no 1 fan wrote:
Captain Rum wrote:Yes it was 15,000 (mine's 7346....I wonder who has number 1 and if it's worth more :P ) and I'm glad it's being released as it's a fantastic set, if memory serves I got it for £52.49 off of Amazon, not bad as a one story release is usually between £11-£13. I'm a big fan of extras and commentaries and there's loads of them, Mary Tamm is very good and it's obvious how well she and Tom got on...I remember the topic of "ferrets" coming up frequently in the "Stones of Blood" commentary :shock: :lol:

Looking forward to all the new releases, can't wait to have every Tom story on dvd :D

mine is no 2405
there is also the seeds of doom and others to they seem to be working from end i thought they would have started from the front if you know what i mean i know what i mean ha ha well
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Captain Rum on November 5th, 2009, 5:52 am

The "New Beginnings" boxset is another must buy as it has Tom's fantastic "Kepper Of Traken", "Logopolis" (my fave story) and "Castrovalva" which is an excellent starter for Peter Davison, a great trilogy of stories and I think you can get it really cheap if you look online.

Can't believe I've had the "Key To Time" boxset for over 2 years, yes it was pricey but the dvds have been played a lot :P
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 11:19 am

Yeah, the seventy odd quid I paid for my copy pales into insignificance when compared to the pleasure the stories have given me, but I'm glad to see 2|entertain have finally decided to re release a cheaper standard edition, so that fans on a budget can bask in the heady glow of season sixteen.
John

Postby John on November 6th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Rumour has it that 2|entertain are planning a boxset which will contain re releases of some of the earlier titles in the Doctor Who range.

Amongst the titles are two Tom Baker stories The Robots of Death and The Talons of Weng Chiang, the former of which was released in November 2000 and is conspicuous by it's lack of extras and variable picture quality.

Louise Jameson has also said that she has recorded new commentaries for both Robots and Talons.
John

Postby Captain Rum on November 6th, 2009, 6:05 pm

The only Special Edition I've bought is "The Five Doctors" but that was because 1) The original Dvd was very sparse, 2) The Special Edition had that version in addition to the Special Edition, 3) It meant that all the covers matched looking from sideways on lol and 4) I got it in a charity shop in mint condition for £2!! The story has to be worth getting the SE versions in addition to excellent extras, with the case of "Robots" and "Talons" I might get them :P
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby John on November 6th, 2009, 11:52 pm

As it now seems an enhanced re release of Robots of Death and Talons of Weng Chiang is set for 2010, it surely bodes well for the similarly basic Ark in Space.
John

Postby John on November 11th, 2009, 2:55 pm

The region 2 release of Masque of Mandragora has been confirmed as Monday 8th February 2010.

The region 2 release of the Myths and Legends boxset containing The Time Monster, Underworld and The Horns of Nimon has been confirmed as Monday 29th March 2010.

Underworld will feature a commentary with Tom Baker, Louise Jameson and Bob Baker.

Other region 2 non Tom Baker releases have been confirmed as follows:

The Curse of Peladon/The Monster of Peladon ~ Monday 4th January 2010
The Space Museum/The Chase ~ Monday 1st March 2010.

Time and the Rani ~ March 2010 (exact date TBC).
John

Postby tracy on November 11th, 2009, 6:14 pm

wow 3 to look forward to in march and feb cant wait might get the one thats out in feb from the sfx event if they have it there
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby bcm77 on November 16th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Just got my "Key To Time" set this morning so my evenings are sorted this week :D
Intresting to hear about the rereleases of "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" and "Robots of Death" too, no doubt I'll be picking those up for the new extras as well.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby ivocaliban on November 24th, 2009, 3:17 am

While I'll be giving Underworld and The Horns of Nimon a pass, I'm excited to see The Masque of Mandragora on DVD. Only one story remaining (The Face of Evil) and my favourite season of Doctor Who will be available on DVD!
ivocaliban

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years