Terror of the Zygons

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Terror of the Zygons

Postby Sarah on March 14th, 2010, 11:47 am

I have a hard time picking favourites, and it has been a long time since I have seen some of them. I just watched this again and it's in my top 3. Imagine if it had todays special FX... I loved the idea of the Loch Ness monster being a cyborg. And the sound of the ship self destructing. I was sad to see Harry go I liked Harry he was funny. castles, Scottland, secret passages leading to an alien ship, disguising themselves as humans Loved it.
Sarah

Re: Terror of the Zygons

Postby John on March 20th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Although Philip Hinchcliffe's first credit as producer was The Ark in Space, all the stories of season twelve had been commissioned by Barry Letts. "Terror of the Zygons" was therefore the first story that Hinchcliffe had full creative control over, and what a terrific story to kick off his first full season with!

Shape changing alien refugees under Loch Ness, A cybernetic oil rig smashing leviathan, and the Brig and UNIT! It doesn't really get much better, does it? And all filmed against the beautiful scenery of.........Sussex. Ah well, the BBC could scarcely afford an expensive trip to Scotland, as they were still paying off the expensive looking tank visual effect from "Robot". No expense was spared on the impressive looking space-craft interior, however; all those organic knobbly bits look wonderfully alien in the subdued green and orange lighting. Regrettably, the same can't be said of the Skarasen sock-puppet, although to be fair it's difficult to see how the effect could have been better achieved in 1975 and on Doctor Who's budget, and in any case it's the productions only real blemish.

Robert Banks-Stewart’s engaging script was a very early indication of the style and format that would shape the stories of the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era. It’s a really well paced story containing action, intrigue, horror and suspense, beautifully directed by Douglas Camfield and boasting a lovely musical score courtesy of the acclaimed Ivor Novello award winning composer Geoffrey Burgon.

But just as "Terror of the Zygons" was the beginning of an era, so it also marked the end of one. As well as being the final UNIT story until 1989, after eighteen regular appearances between 1968 and 1975, season thirteen would be the final appearance of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart until 1983's "Mawdryn Undead". The show would also be saying farewell to Ian Marter and John Levene, although both would appear briefly in "The Android Invasion". Terribly sad to see so many well loved characters leaving the series, but nothing lasts forever, and arguably the best was yet to come.
John

Postby tch on March 21st, 2010, 7:18 pm

Love this story! It was also one of the very first Target novelizations I ever bought.

Shame the Zygons were never brought back.
Though, they have shown up in a couple of the novels, I'd love to have seen some other TV Doctor tangle with them.
tch

Postby Graham Sutton on May 1st, 2010, 11:01 pm

Yes I agree, the Zygons were very good and deserve a return match - as does the Krynoid from Seeds of Doom.
Graham Sutton

Postby Dalek38 on June 25th, 2010, 5:30 pm

tch wrote:Love this story! It was also one of the very first Target novelizations I ever bought.

Shame the Zygons were never brought back.

They have been brought back, although not on camera. The latest episode of the new DW makes mention of them being among the races making up the 'alliance'. Shame, really. I'd love to see what the redesign of the Zygons would look like.
Dalek38

Postby qiongyouyou on July 9th, 2010, 9:04 am

Sarah wrote:I have a hard time picking favourites, and it has been a long time since I have seen some of them. I just watched this again and it's in my top 3. Imagine if it had todays special FX... I loved the idea of the Loch Ness monster being a cyborg. And the sound of the ship self destructing. I was sad to see Harry go I liked Harry he was funny. castles, Scottland, secret passages leading to an alien ship, disguising themselves as humans Loved it.
qiongyouyou

Postby qiongyouyou on July 10th, 2010, 3:07 am

Hello,nice to meet you here! bring a present to you.There is the good watching DVD.Hope all love and enjoy!
qiongyouyou

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 14th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Yes, this is one of my favourites of the Tom era, alongside Seeds of Doom and Robot.

It has to be said, however, that the loch ness monster must rank among the worst ever special effects. Now, I do realise that their budget back then amounted to about twenty new pence and a box of shoelaces, but even so...

I wonder how long we'll have to wait to see some of the real classics like this come out on DVD.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years