Re: Welcome to the Tom Baker Years

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Postby JohnSmith on March 13th, 2010, 11:00 pm

I first fell in love with the 4th Doctor and Tom Baker in the story Genesis of the Daleks.

I will always remember settling down to watch it on our first colour TV and had always watched Who in Black and White till that adventure.

I also remember that when the Daleks arrived on the scene I was so disappointed as they were all dark grey and black! I don't know what I was expecting to see... Green Daleks? Ha! Oh well, I was only nine at the time!

From that story onwards my love for Tom and the series overall grew and thanks to him I have the magic of the Doctor that has followed me through life and I will always be grateful to Tom and all the many many Production Teams who have helped steer the Tardis through Time and Space through the decades to the present day!

Thank you Tom from the ever youthful nine year old who is still inhabiting this ever decaying 44 year old frame!

We love you and always will through all of Time and Space!

Steve
I used to know an ancient remedy for mad dogs. I must look it up sometime. Good library here, have you?
JohnSmith

Postby digby on March 16th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Hello, this is my first post!

I just wanted to say "hi" to all the Tom fans out there, because Doctor #4 holds a special place in my heart. I'm an American and had never heard of "Doctor Who" til one day in 1991 when my local PBS station started playing "Robot." It was so strange and quirky, and I was instantly sucked in by the charm of the man playing the Doctor. I had never seen a character like this "Doctor" person before, and being an impressionable teenager it literally changed my life. For many years I had been moody and sulky, not caring about the world and very depressed. But something about this character made me want to laugh and experience life with a smile. I'm sure this all sounds wishy-washy and a bit mad, but I don't think I ever had a proper role model til I saw the man in the very long scarf. To this day "Robot" cheers me up to no end. Tom, thank you so much for bringing so much joy into my life!!
digby

Postby John on March 16th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Hi Digby, nice to have you here. Hope you enjoy the forum.
John

Postby tracy on March 16th, 2010, 5:14 pm

:D welcome to toms dinner table digby and steve aka john smith steve i think you know me its tracy ha if i have the right one if your steve worman then i know you . enjoy your time on here both of you
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby JohnSmith on March 17th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Hi Tracy. Fancy seeing you here! Lol!
I used to know an ancient remedy for mad dogs. I must look it up sometime. Good library here, have you?
JohnSmith

Postby tracy on March 17th, 2010, 3:25 pm

steve how are you i love this place hope your well take care .im going to the glasgow event where tom will be in may hope you can make it its the 29th to the 30th im going on the 28th its called the army of guests
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby JohnSmith on March 17th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Tracy. Hi. I just sent you a FB request!

Sadly I won't be going to Glasgow this month due to lack of pennies. I am hoping Tom will go (hint hint to Tom) to the Bad Wolf convention this year as I shall be buying my tickets soon for that one!

Chat soon, Steve
JohnSmith

Postby Sarah on March 17th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Not mad in the slightest Tom's doctor was a wonderfull roll model as you might notice he had that effect on many many many people... and it stuck. Just look at some of the roll models kids have these days... we were the lucky ones my friend. I am glad they brought the show back though, I enjoy the new series but it's not quite the same, Tom's doctor was such a unique charactor and that whole era of the show had something about it.
Robot is one of my favourite episodes, I loved that robot I actually was quite sad that he went mad, I'm saving some pennies to buy the original figure on ebay, the one that came in peices with each toy. last I checked it was over $100 australian, so I will be saving for a while. Maybe for my birthday...I have a spot of the shelf picked out :mrgreen:

The way I see it... the world is a mad mad place... I try to look at the bright side of it as much as possible but with so much to get you down, life can get too serious, we need these things to come back to, it's like a happy place if you know what I mean. A little escape from the real world and it gets your imagination going watching dr who. We can always wonder what it might be like if there really were other worlds out there but we won't get to visit them in the 'real' world, but there is our imagination and art, and film and wonderfull charactors we get to know and they can take us anywhere at all, and you can be sitting safe at home on the couch the whole time, or hiding behind it lol.

No nothing mad about that at all :mrgreen:
Sarah

Postby tracy on March 17th, 2010, 7:46 pm

steve the event where tom will be is in may but not til the end of may
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on March 18th, 2010, 3:52 am

I first encountered Tom Baker on Doctor Who when it was running on the local PBS station, way back in the dark ages. My favorite shows were 'Robots of Death' and 'Invasion of time.'

We didn't get many episodes here in the states, so I got a lot of my Who info from the old Target paperbacks.
It was even harder to find stuff that was non-Who that had Tom in it.
Very weird seeing him as a bad guy in 'Sinbad'.

Now, my kids watch the new series with me and I rent every Who DVD netflix gets. My son rolls his eyes at some of the old stuff, but will watch any episode with Daleks and has become a big Tom Baker fan.
Been fun to pass something that was such a big deal to me, as a kid, to my kids.

While I love all ten of them, Tom Baker will always be 'My Doctor.'
tch

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years