Hornets Nest - The Stuff of Nightmares -SPOILERS

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Hornets Nest - The Stuff of Nightmares -SPOILERS

Postby John on November 19th, 2009, 4:49 am

In view of the consumer backlash this series of audio books appears to have precipitated, I must confess to having been slightly hesitant in buying the first CD. Having read a handful of reviews it would appear that there are quite a few disgruntled people who were expecting something more along the lines of a Big Finish full cast production, and given the inordinate level of hype surrounding Tom’s return to the role, such high expectation was only ever going to lead to disappointment.

Thankfully, the bitterness expressed by a small minority could not stifle my curiosity, and I recently purchased the first three episodes for the princely sum of five pounds each. I’m so glad that I did.

The Stuff of Nightmares is a wonderfully atmospheric story, full of strong haunting imagery, beautifully narrated in the style of a late night fireside ghost tale. It’s amazing how naturally Tom slipped back into the role, and such is the resonance of his charismatic tones that I found myself instantly spellbound by the opulence of Paul Magrs ethereal script. So rich and detailed is the imagery and so entrancing the subject matter, that my usual mundane commute to work passed by in a flash, leaving me hungry for more.

It was lovely to hear Richard Franklin’s voice again, and although I initially thought that he was an unusual choice of 'companion' -- particularly as his character is normally associated with the third Doctor -- I think he does a splendid job. Interesting is the manner in which the Doctor and Yates interact, their relationship being more like that of the Doctor and the Brigadier, in fact there’s an interesting scene early on in the story where the Doctor is attacked by a vengeful weasel and Mike instantly pulls out a gun and despatches the beast, only to be chided for his rash actions. Perhaps Franklin was not the first choice for the part?

Despite my initial apprehension, I was delighted to discover that The Stuff of Nightmares was actually more than I had hoped for. Stories of the macabre have traditionally lent themselves very well to Doctor Who, and Paul Magrs script has a particularly ‘Who-ish’ feel to it, the stories chilling surrealism being brought to life so captivatingly by Tom’s wonderful story telling voice. You just don’t get the same emotional response from a book, you need to close your eyes and be drawn in by those hypnotic tones.
John

Re: Hornets Nest - The Stuff of Nightmares

Postby Toothy Grin on November 19th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I am really enjoying the Hornet's Nest series. It's nothing groundbreaking, but just having Tom back in character is the main attraction for me. He was a little slow to get a grip on the character at first, but by The Dead Shoes he is on fine form. There are some interesting plot threads developing, and some wonderfully macabre and sinister imagery is conjoured up thanks to Paul Magrs creepy script and Tom's fantastic narration, he relishes in describing the disgusting! Dead Shoes has been my favourite so far, Circus of Doom was the creepiest. I can't wait for more!
Toothy Grin

Postby tracy on December 18th, 2009, 7:20 pm

:D yesterday i had the stuff of night mares arrive and last night i listioned to it . i just hope tom gets to do some more .what id love is for all 5 storys from hornets nest to be made for tv and tom to do them that would be great
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Jan on December 18th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Tom,

You and your delightful cast of actors were simply marvelous in the Doctor Who: Hornet's Nest series. I really enjoyed listening to each new adventure of the series. I'm so glad you agreed to do a new audio Doctor Who adventure. You will always be my favorite Doctor. I have enjoyed whatever role you have played over the years. :D

Jan Grokett
Jan

Postby Theta Sigma on March 17th, 2010, 6:38 am

A very welcome back to Tom as the Fourth Doctor and he works really well alongside with Richard Franklin's Captain Mike Yates (retired) considering the fact the two never met each other in the TV series, although they came pretty close as Franklin made his regular appearance in the Jon Pertwee swansong Planet of the Spiders but was not in the regeneration scene at the end that saw Pertwee turn into Tom.
Captain Yates' inclusion in The Hornet's Nest came as a result of Nick Courtney being unavailable to reprise his role as the Brigadier and the Brigadier had appeared in two Fourth Doctor TV stories Robot & Terror of the Zygons.
A very good opening chapter to the Hornet's Nest as it is very intriguing listening to the Doctor recounting his most recent adventure about a swarm of psychic alien hornets to Captain Yates and why he needs his help.
A very cute reference to First Doctor companion Dodo as well as some of the Fourth Doctor's TV adventures.
The ending to The Stuff of Nightmares makes me very eager to find out what happens next.
Theta Sigma

Postby Nebula on March 17th, 2010, 2:08 pm

What a comeback! It has been many years since I last listened to Tom on Doctor Who audio - State of Decay - and I was extremely excited by the news that new adventures would be released. The Stuff of Nightmares is, quite frankly, the stuff of dreams. My Fourth Doctor, back again and investigating the unknown. What more can a Classic fan ask for?

Thank you, Tom, for allowing us old fans back into your world again!!

:D
"It is the end... but the moment has been prepared for."
Nebula

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years