Tom Baker Doctor Who merchandise

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker Doctor Who merchandise

Postby Marcello Cristiano on December 12th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Great stuff, bcm77! I wish I had that TOM figure, although I do have 4 copies of the Flight Control TARDIS you've got pictured. I must scour ebay for that figure. :)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Ronald on December 13th, 2009, 2:25 am

Thought I would put up two of my custom Tom Baker action figures:

The one on the left is the "standard" release, middle from Talons and the right was to be a Pyramids of Mars, but sort of gave up on him when there was an announced figure being released.
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby bcm77 on December 14th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Nice work Ronald!, the "Talons" version must've been tricky due to the lack of suitable parts.
Here's another pic of the "Pyramids of Mars" version, this time with the head that came with it,

"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Toothy Grin on December 14th, 2009, 3:36 pm

I think the 'Pyramids' figure is the best Tom figure so far. I'm not too impressed with the 'Talons' one I have to say, it looks a little 'cheap and rushed' to be honest. The real Talons outfit has a lot of fine, elaborate detail in it that has been lost on this figure. The paint job is actually pretty shoddy.
Toothy Grin

Postby Ronald on December 14th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:I think the 'Pyramids' figure is the best Tom figure so far. I'm not too impressed with the 'Talons' one I have to say, it looks a little 'cheap and rushed' to be honest. The real Talons outfit has a lot of fine, elaborate detail in it that has been lost on this figure. The paint job is actually pretty shoddy.

Sorry, best I could do. I wish I could paint all the elaborate detail, but my eyesight isn't that good. I'm sure the real version, if and when it comes will be much nicer than my attempt.
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby bcm77 on December 19th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:I think the 'Pyramids' figure is the best Tom figure so far. I'm not too impressed with the 'Talons' one I have to say, it looks a little 'cheap and rushed' to be honest. The real Talons outfit has a lot of fine, elaborate detail in it that has been lost on this figure. The paint job is actually pretty shoddy.

It's easy to dismiss it but there's a couple of points that I think you are missing,

1.Suitable parts for recreating that particular attire are difficult to find as they largely don't exist on other figures so unless a person can sculpt new parts by themselves, make molds THEN cast the parts in the requisite materials which is neither easy or cheap it's a case of using whatever else is available.

2.Painting the patterns in the material by hand is considerably more difficult than the machine driven tampo printing method that Character Options use in their factories.

So with that in mind I think it's a reasonable attempt.

More good news for fans of Tom and indeed other eras as Classic wave 2 contains more memorable characters from his run plus a couple of other crackers,

Morbius' torso and legs look somewhat iffy but it's largely due to the fact that short fur is nigh on impossible to sculpt realistically at that relatively small scale and I doubt much else could be done to improve it but the rest are fantastic, the Voc even differs from the one in the Adventure set as it will have glow in the dark eyes!

The other bit of good news is that this wave will be a general retail release and not limited to collector stores and each figure will be £8.99 in the UK.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Ronald on December 19th, 2009, 11:57 pm

bcm77 wrote:

It's easy to dismiss it but there's a couple of points that I think you are missing,

1.Suitable parts for recreating that particular attire are difficult to find as they largely don't exist on other figures so unless a person can sculpt new parts by themselves, make molds THEN cast the parts in the requisite materials which is neither easy or cheap it's a case of using whatever else is available.

2.Painting the patterns in the material by hand is considerably more difficult than the machine driven tampo printing method that Character Options use in their factories.

So with that in mind I think it's a reasonable attempt.

Thanks for that bcm77. The parts for this came from a Captain Jack and a Lando Calrissian and it turned out far better than my first attempt! I had the idea of creating the patterns for the cloak lining and stripes on a computer and printing clear decal sheets to use, but i can't find any more of the sheets I used to use. The head required a great deal of carving, grinding and reshaping of the hair to get the new hat to fit right.
Anyway, my custom figure was far better received on the other action figure groups I post on, so I won't bother posting anymore customs here. At least there, everyone understands what it takes to do a custom action figure.

I am very excited about those new figures as well, especially the Cyberman, Ice Warrior and Morbius!
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby Toothy Grin on December 21st, 2009, 10:35 am

The new Cyberman and Voc Robot are fantastic. The Ice Warrior is ok. Less keen on the bandy-legged mummy, and the Mrorbius monster looks very plastic-y.
Toothy Grin

Postby Sarah on March 14th, 2010, 12:12 pm

I just got the morbius monster I think it's actually pretty good, but what I really want is the brain in the green goo.
Sarah

Postby Nebula on March 20th, 2010, 11:30 am

I managed to purchase the Fourth Doctor figure (still packaged, keep them that way - just means I can't play with them lol :D ) and recently, the Fourth Doctor Figure set featuring Mummy, Doctor, Voc Robot and Destiny Dalek, again still sealed.

I'm sooo very happy that they've been releasing Classic figures, especially of Tom's Doctor!

:D :D
"It is the end... but the moment has been prepared for."
Nebula

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years